Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Paella on the Egg (photo test too)

Options
JCO
JCO Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
24904_1366242949924_1047151189_1118899_3261872_n.jpg
I made Paella on the egg Saturday. I'm trying to post a picture, not sure if it'll work (can you post them from facebook?). The Paella turned out great. I can't believe how much easier it is than when I used to use a regular Webber grill, or even when I used a gas grill. The size of the pan is almost perfect for the large that I have.

Comments

• Looks so good do you have a recipe for it?
  • Looks so good do you have a recipe for it?
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That paella looks fantastic Judy!! Great job on posting the picture too. I'm not sure about posting from Facebook, I really doubt it though.
  • JCO
    Options
    Picture was posted from Facebook. Just get the information on the location and add ] on the back and it worked fine.  I'll have to post the recipe later tonight so I don't forget anything.  It's really my brother's recipe, so I'll have to look it up.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That looks great. I will wait for the receipe. ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    JCO, that looks like a fantastic paella! What is the diameter of your pan?
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    That looks great! I gotta get a paella pan and add that to the to-do list.
  • Loco Lobo
    Loco Lobo Posts: 114
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=732928&catid=1

Here's an old post I did. The link to an online recipe is attached.

Your first try looked great.

I drop a few wood chips to get smoke flavor and add a little paprika to my stock.

Your post has gotten me back in the mood, tomorrow Paella!

All the best of luck.
  • JCO
    Options
    Thanks! I'm not sure what the exact diameter is, but apparently it's just a little less than the diameter of the top part of the egg. I can't believe that it fit that well. I brought back the paella pan years ago from Venezuela and I just got the egg in October. They seem to be made for each other :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    That is indeed a great looking Paella. Thansk for sharing.
    Does the large size of the pan not interfere with airflow?
  • JCO
    Options
    I think that there was enough air coming through the edges of the pan that it kept the fire hot. I don't remember how hot I had it to begin with, but it was enough to sautee the sausage, onions, etc. and it kept the rice simmering when I closed the lid. I believe that the vent was about half way opened on bottom througout the whole cook. When I closed the top to cook the rice, the top vent was partially opened with the little vents on the wheel fully opened.
  • JCO
    Options
    OK, here is the recipe:

Ingredients
    4 cups rice
    10 cups fish or shrimp broth
    2 lb. shrimp (shelled)
    1 lb. calamari (cleaned and cut)
    1 lb. red snapper (cleaned, de-boned, cut in pieces)
    1 lb. clams or other shells
    1 lb. jumbo shrimp (mostly for decoration)
    1 lb. of chicken (cooked, cut in pieces)
    1 lb. Spanish chorizo sausage (not Mexican, sliced)
    1 can of peas
    1 large red pepper
    1 large yellow pepper
    2 medium yellow onions (diced)
    1 head of garlic (crushed)
    1 stick of butter
    Olive oil
    Saffron
    Salt and Pepper
    1/2 cup sherry

Instructions
    Cut peppers in half, clean and place in oven until skin is slightly blackened. Cool, peel skin off, slice into thin long pieces, reserve.

Heat broth and add salt, pepper and a pinch of saffron. I usually add a Goya seasoning mix (the one with saffron) package too. Reserve.

Saute chorizo until just cooked. Add butter and some olive oil and saute onions and garlic until just starting to brown. Add calamari and sautee for a few minutes. Add rice and stir together, then slowly add the broth, then the shrimp and chicken then stir again. Cover the egg and cook for approximately 10 minutes.

Open egg and now add, without stirring, the fish pieces, the pepper strips, the jumbo shrimp, and the shells. Cover again and cook until rice is almost done. Add peas and cover again for a few minutes.

When rice is done remove from the egg and drizzle the sherry on top. Serve and enjoy. A little EVOO drizzled when you've served it on your plate is really good too.

Notes:
    All measurements are approximate and all ingredients are to taste. Add or replace anything you like. For the batch that is in the picture, I didn't have any shells or jumbo shrimp so they're not in there. I also hadn't added the peas when I took the picture.

1) I like to use an already cooked chicken. I usually have some smoked whole chickens in the freezer that I use for this or Jambalaya. If you use raw chicken you can saute the pieces right after the chorizo.
    2) I do not like to use Mexican chorizo. It's not at all the same and I think that it ruins it for me. If I can't find Spanish chorizo, I either make it myself or not add it.
    3) I use parboiled Uncle Ben's. I know that it's heresy, but I can't find Spanish rice and I've never had a complaint.
  • JCO
    Options
    The paella pan is 19 1/4 inches in diameter. I got it a long time ago in some market in Caracas, Venezuela. No brand name or anything.
  • Thank you for the recipe looks very interesting. Did you cook it with indirect heat and for how long at what temp? Where would one get a pan like that?

Judy
  • JCO
    Options
    It was cooked on direct heat. The pans can be found on the internet as far as I know. I think that places like Williams Sonoma have them, but they're probably really expensive there. I would check to see what places have them online.