Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New lump at ace?

Options
SmokeOrFire
SmokeOrFire Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ran into this in another slower moving bbq forum. A member indicated it is lump, not briquettes, even though the description says "briquettes burn hot and long" and that it appears to be American hardwoods similar to royal oak. However, I cannot yet vouch for this.

Has anyone used it? This could be a wonderful reasonably priced alternative to the big boxes...

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3931573&cp=1260206

Comments

• Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I haven't seen this at my local Ace. I've got an Ace that sells Frontier (Made in USA) another that sells Cowboy and two others that are BGE dealers that sell BGE and Wicked. I live in the city so these are within a couple of miles. The Lowe's sells Frontier (NOT USA) Menard's sell Royal Oak Steak House (This stuff may be Royal Oak barrel wash).
    The people that are selling the Frontier USA are happy because the have some local restaurants that are buying by the pallet.
    I'm thinking that my ACE stores are a bunch of independents.
    TTFN WLL
  • Thanks for the heads up! Just called my local Ace HW and they'll have 2 (17.6#) bags for me on Saturday morning ($9.99/ea.).
  • Green Eggs and Jan
    Options
    Ace near me now carries the Cowboy Lump and it is excellent, especially at $11.00 for 20 pounds.
  • Hmm... Where are you located? I pay $15.99 for 20# at the local ACE and their website has it listed at 8-12 bucks for 8.8# bags.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I haven't seen it, but I will check it out.
    Last time I checked my Ace (the BGE dealer in town) had BGE and Cowboy on the shelf. Neather of which were a deal... :(
  • Green Eggs and Jan
    Options
    Believe it or not I am in Boca Raton, FL. Another great source is a store near me called Western Beef, a semi-wholesale meat market specializing in large cuts. It is where I purchase my whole pack Briskets, but they carry Royal Oak Lump for the ridiculous price of $9.99 for 20 lbs also. I stock up when I shop there and the Royal Oak is really quite good.
  • SmokeOrFire
    Options
    Call don't drive there. My store said they could order it but they don't normally carry it (they had cowboy and frontier for 14.99).

I'm going to wait for a review from someone who used it (to see if its really royal oak in a plain bag) before ordering online.