Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the Plate Setter

Options
Evilpenguinj
Evilpenguinj Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Guys

I just made a big ham and a bunch of it dripped on to the plater setter. So now there is charred on black stuff on it. What's the best way to clean it? Can you put the plate setter in water and let it soak? Any help would be great!

PS: The Ham got rave reviews, so thanks to all that answered my other questions!

Jason

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    scrape if off with a spatula...I wouldn't soak it in anything personally. I tried some Easy Off once and it did'n't really do much more than the scrapper...it will remain stained regardless of what you do...it's now broken in...
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    too late now, but I always cover the bottom with foil so clean up is a snap. Just go ahead and scrape it off, but there only two ways - do a high temp burn off or foil it in the first place.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Just leave it. It will burn off.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I find that if I get something on the "legs" side of the plate setter, cooking two pizzas with the plate setter inverted (legs down) cleans it off pretty well, once you removed as much as you can with a scraper.

What do the pizzas have to do with it, other than cooking the stained side at 500-600f for a while? Nothing, but if I'm going to have it set up like that, I might as well make some pizza right? ;)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • ledmond
    ledmond Posts: 88
    Options
    Put it through a self cleaning oven cycle and it will look brand new.
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    I make a baking soda and water paste to clean mine with. I let the paste sit awhile and rinse it off. The next time you use it, it comes out nice and clean again. (Sometimes the really big black stains take awhile to cook off, though.)
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    I am also new to BG BBQ-ing, and had this question. I like Bacchus' reply the best.

After all - the Egg itself does not need any cleaning, it self cleans due to the heat.

But - a note or instruction sheet explaining this would be very helpful. Even the video with Chef Rathbone cooking with the Eggcessories does not tell us what to do with the rather ugly-looking spatters after we cook something up.

BTW, I made a large rack of ribs last night - Totally Yummy!
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    just do a high temp burn for an hour and it will all come off.. it is amazing. and probably cheaper than the self cleaning uven..
    I have read some horror stories of houses filling with smoke after putting the plate setter in the self cleaning oven.
    I dont think I would do that.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I just cleaned mine in the oven before I read this. It smoked up the house pretty good! :sick:

It had some pretty nasty stuff on it from a beer can chicken (which was excellent by the way). I am planning a slow n low cook later today and I was afraid it might stink up my butt (pork butt that is).

I think I'll try to use foil next time to prevent the mess in the first place, and if I do need to clean it I really like the pizza method.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    i have done hi temp burn it off's and the plate setter has come out bright white!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI