Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal

Options
johann
johann Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you all do about charcoal in the winter? Now that its spring again I'm finding it easier, but it is a huge pain in the winter.

I ended up having to get cowboy lump as it was the only stuff available. The one store that stocks royal oak, is hit or miss, and mostly miss through the summer.

I don't want to have to get a palette of wicked good again, but I swear, if I drive to the store 1 more time and come back empty handed I may have to.

I will say cowboy lights way faster, and gets crazy hot. Though the fact that I'm finding stones in it is another issue.
thanks

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I guess I am very lucky. I have NEVER had a problem getting Royal Oak in the winter.
    I have switched to Chigger Creek, $22 for 40lbs.

Mike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ten years ago after getting my first egg I experienced that problem and had to make 40# last me nearly 3 months. I swore then and there I would never again be caught short like that. My base stash now is at 350 pounds minimum, but just last month I was up to 660 pounds of lump and it's stacked all around my garage walls!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johann
    Options
    So did you just buy it whenever you saw it or how did you grow the stash?

Do you all go in for royal oak? I've tried wicked good which is a pain to light but seems to be the only stuff I can find by the palette.
  • Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    Stock up with what you like when available. Then restock before you get too low.
  • RRP
    Options
    yes - just stockpiled at 40, 60, or 80 pounds at a time. I keep 3 brands on hand. Ozark Oak, Wicked Good and Royal Oak. Do you have a Wally World near you? Most all carry RO - though not year around.
  • johann
    Options
    There is a wally world, though I haven't seen anything but kingsford at it. TBH I don't venture in there much. I may have to search it again.
  • RRP
    Options
    Seems like the going price at WM across the country for RO is $6.37 for 10#. We have 2 Super WM in our area and one regular size. Only the Supers carry it. BTW do you have any GFS outlets in your area? They carry lump made by RO but packaged in GFS name. Here's a store locator - pull the page down to see map.
    http://gfs.know-where.com/gfs/
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Do check out Wal-Mart. I’m way the heck up in the north woods of MN and mine does have RO 24 / 7….I was surprised!
    OTOH, there is no harm in stocking up. Right mow I have about 160 lbs. of Wicked Good and 50 lbs. of Royal Oak in the wood box in my wood shop.
    I try to buy some when I can get a deal….But, “what the hay’ it’s only money!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you have a Kroger or Kroger owned chain they will order it in for you. It takes about a week. Their brand is Kroger but it is RO.

I don't mind using Cowboy, it's just the planking looks odd.

GG
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I am humbled by the amount of lump you folks stockpile. I thought I was being piggish when I had 3 20 lb bags. I wish the mothership would have a sale, like $16/bag if you buy 20 or more. I would go stock up!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The traditional 'grilling' season is early spring to mid autum then most of the stores go dry. The only time I have found a sale is on a torn bag.

Last time I checked BGE was $25/20#. cowboy is about 85¢/lb and RO in any packaging is about $1/lb. I can get Mexican Mesquite $20/40# but some of the pieces are huge logs. I take a welding hammer to break it down.

I got a 20# bag when I got my first egg. After a few days that was all gone, went and got 3 bags and in a week or two all that was gone. Then found some RO at walmart and bought 800# That lasted me through the cold months and a little into spring. After that first summer I usually buy 10 bags and when I get to 4 or 5 I get another 10. By the end of summer I should have enough to get me through the winter again.

GG
  • johann
    Options
    The net philosophy is, buy a bunch when you can and plan ahead.

I'm surprised that given the amount of lump, ya'll don't get it direct by the palette etc. Cut out the middle man and save some money.

The only direct place I found was Wicked Good, which doesn't seem so much of a deal. I can get Royal oak when I can from the store(Adam's fair acre farms) at about 12-14$ for a 20# bag.

I'll have to check out Wally world and compare prices.

I did meet a Royal Oak outside sales person once at SFO while traveling for work. The $$### wouldn't hook me up with direct palette sales or even a polo.

Need those discount connections! I hate paying full price.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Kent, the last 2 bags of Cowboy I've bought haven't had the traditional children's toy block pieces. Rumor had it that with the downturn in the house construction business, there were less scraps available and Cowboy had to start using lumber mill slabs like many other companies. Don't know if it's true, but the lump is definitely different recently.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I've gotten plenty of rocks in Royal Oak and BGE lump. If you have seen how they make lump, using loaders to haul the wood and charcoal around, it's easy to see how these lumps and stones get into the process.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    How does the Royal Oak compare to the BGE lump? Is it close to being the same? Much cheaper!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    As far as I've ever been able to tell, it's the same.
    The Naked Whiz
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    where are you located? In new england we still have some "coal and ice" places. So even though the stores don't carry lump, I can get it here. One carries Wicked Good which I happen to like.
  • johann
    Options