Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sort of OT: Camera problem

Options
Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
Mr. & Mrs Potatohead Posts: 2,037
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sooo...Can anybody help with this scenario?
I was going to post pics of my smoked ham (nothing really special, but nice looking) for the Easter feast.
But, while the camera was downloading (USB) the power “blipped”, was out for a second or two and then back.
After a restart of the computer (hadn’t thought about the camera at all to this point) I found the camera wouldn’t do ANYTHING after the initial fire up except “beep and blink”! I couldn’t take a picture, I couldn’t view pictures...Nothing!!!
Anybody have a suggestion?

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I would try taking the memory card out and putting it back in, maybe a couple times for the fun of it. I have seen this work once. I would also try taking the battery out and putting in a fresh one if you have it, if not just put the old one back in. Either way you might cause something to reset itself. I'm shooting in the dark here, best of luck to ya.

Gator

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Sounds like you left the camera connected to the computer during the restart.

I would disconnect the camera from the computer, turn off the camera, remove the battery. 30 seconds to a minute later, put in the battery and turn on the camera. Take a picture of anything. Use the camera to preview the pictures and see what is left on the memory card if they are there they should be able to be sent over to the computer.

Connect the camera to the computer and look at the memory card to see if any pictures are available, even the last one you just took.

It is possible the off/on of the computer may have caused a file corruption on the memory card of the camera.

Worst case you should be able to reformat the memory card (from camera settings) and be off and running again.

My 2¢, GG
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Options
    Buy yourself a card reader, then you wont have to hook up camera anymore. I always use a card reader, hooking up camera to pc take to long to download files. o to remove removable drive then disconnect camera and take out batteries for 1 minute then reinstall and try that.

Good Luck

Larry
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions...
    Not sure how or why, but through a combination of things the camera is now working again :) .
    First a different (#2) card…Nothing!
    Then the batteries…This now turned on the camera and it read card #2, but not card #1.
    Took cards out / back in: Card #1 now asked to be formatted, but when doing so came up with “Card Error”.
    Put card #2 back in, all was right.
    Put card #1 back in, all was right, but everything had been erased.
    BTW, I’ve never heard of a card reader, but I’m going to look into it.
    Thanks again!