Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tennessee eggheads - I'm visiting Johnson City

Options
WWSis
WWSis Posts: 1,448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all I posted last week about coming to Tennessee on business, but didn't know where I would be. Today, I found out I'm going to be in Johnson City, which appears to be in the northeast corner...anyone from around there? As mentioned, I will be there five nights... so any good advice for restaurants in the area? What might I expect for temperatures in a couple of weeks?

Comments

• Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    Hi, in Kingsport, just about 20 miles from Johnson City.
    Temps have been high lately, upper 80's, but will go back into 60's next week. Most of the places to eat here are chains. So nothing I can recommend.
    gp
  • WWSis
    Options
    Thanks gp. I look forward to seeing Tennessee - never been there.
  • rockytopsc
    rockytopsc Posts: 856
    Options
    WWSis
    My wife Mrs.FoodPolice is from the area and lived in Johnson City for two years attending ETSU. We do get to the area some but haven't spent much time there since then (15+ yrs) but did eat at The Firehouse Restaurant and have been trying to get to Dixie Barbeque and try them out. Pal's Sudden Service has great dogs and frenchie frys! But like Tennisbum said mostly chain restaurants. If you have time to run down to Jonesborough it's a neat little town and Tn's oldest town.

Sorry I can't help too much,
    Jason
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Only locally owned restaurants in this list...

I hit Dixie Barbecue every time I get a chance. I order the pulled pork plate plain (no sauce) with double potatoes and onions for the side. They have tons of sauce options-- vinegar based, ketchup based, mayonaisse based (Alabama white sauce) and mustard based (South Carolina gold).
    http://dixiebarbeque.net/

If you like sliced BBQ, go for Ridgewood. People are crazy about that place. They're unique.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/ridgewood-barbecue-bluff-city

For fun fast food, go to Pals and get anything on the menu. The Big Chicken and a 32oz sweet tea is my favorite.
    http://www.palsweb.com/

For a big greasy pizza, get carryout from Greg's
    Pizza. Long waits on the weekends. Lots of Lipitor afterwards.

Also check out Cootie Browns and the Crazy Tomato.

For a quick (30 minute) drive to some mountain overlooks, take I-26 South. Before you hit North Carolina, there will be some overlooks on both sides of the road. If you get more time, check out Roan Mountain.

It's a great place, just enough shopping and retail but not too big.
  • WWSis
    Options
    Wow, great information, thank you so much!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    My parents would second the recommendation for Ridgewood. I've yet to get up there because I'm always there on a day trip for business but they say it's great.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This