Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat grinder at Harbor Freight

Options
StoicDude
StoicDude Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know about the deal that I got.
It's an electrical model, normally $60, on sale for $50 and there is a 20% coupon which makes it $40.

I got it on Friday and picked up some USDA Prime top sirloin from Costco.
Best burgers ever.
Only suggestion from me is to switch it to the fine cutting plate. I had it on the medium, which made the burgers fall apart easy at first.
I ll take pictures next time. I will also try to mix different cuts of meat. The top sirloin was great, but a bit expensive and I would have liked a bit more fat.

If anybody has suggestions for what types of cuts to use, please post. I thought about using chuck next time.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Do you have a link to the store and that product. With coupon? Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Brisket makes great burgers
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Mix sirloin 50-50 with chuck makes a good burger. When ribeyes are on sale they make a great burger too. -RP
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Molly, this must be the one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99598

I am also interested in where to find the coupon.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here ya go, ladies. I used one like this a month or two ago. Just print it and take it to the store. Only good for retail stores though.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html/MagazineLanders/3-general/images/20_c.jpg

If I see an online coupon, I'll let you know.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Horrible Freight stores...

2835 E. FOUNTAIN BLVD. Colorado Springs
    154 W. FLETCHER AVE Tampa

:)

Or, search here...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Can't win for loosin...

This almost looks exactly like one of the Cabella's grinders for $200.

If you would, do me a favor and look at the drive and see if the connection from the head to the motor is plastic or steel.

Congratulations that looks like it is a great deal.

Don't stop at hamburgers. Give thirdeye's Farm Sausage a try. That is fantastic, we make it all the time.

Here is another treat, High Mountain Summer Saussage.

sausage_summer.jpg

You are going to enjoy that new toy.

GG
  • StoicDude
    Options
    Sorry guys that I didn't post the link, but I figured you would find it, because of the age of the internets. Same with the coupon. That is how I found the coupon. :lol:

I don't know exactly what you mean by head to the drive and I am not in the disassembling mood today so I can only say that the little "nipple" piece that sticks out of the housing is metal.
    I looked at the schematic in the manual and that is labeled as the motor, so the end piece of that motor is metal. I don't know if that helps.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The head is what you remove to clean. The worm gear inside the head on the motor side has either a plastic drive piece/gear or a metal drive piece/gear.

Either way it is a great price.

GG
  • StoicDude
    Options
    Ok. Thanks for explaining that. It is all metal. I ll check when I get back home, but I am pretty sure it is metal.