Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg Problems

Big George's BBQBig George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
edited 4:29PM in EggHead Forum
Becase of everything that I have been trying to do the past few months I have not had a chance to use my BGE. I went to cook steaks on it last night. Opened it and there was mildew in it. The dome and the grate. How should I clean it. I thought I should fire it up to 700 degrees and let it burn for a while. My family says diluted bleach water which does not seem right esp. on the dome. Thanks for the help. I do keep this covered with the Lg. BGE cover.

Comments

  • Sooner EggSooner Egg Posts: 578
    I'd fire it up and burn it off
  • Ageed. Don't use bleach. You may sacrafice your gasket in the process, but I'd load it up with lump and just let her rip.
  • mb168mb168 Posts: 265
    I agree with firing it up with a little bit of lump, the door wide open, and the lid off. I might would put a little something on the grate but I'm not even sure what right now, possibly bleach like you mentioned, but it would be out of the egg when I did it.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,496
    bleach works on a hard countertop, but not so much on something pourous to kill mold. fire it up
  • LuckyDogLuckyDog Posts: 14
    From BGE Web.

    Mold has grown in my EGG. How can I remove it safely?

    Mold is naturally in the air around us virtually all the time. When it settles in a warm, moist environment, such as the interior of the EGG, it can readily grow and spread. When this occurs you will actually see the mold. To eliminate it, just light the EGG and bring the temperature up to 450°F and allow the EGG to "cook" for about 30 minutes. Then close the vents to put out the fire; after it cools down use a wire brush to remove any leftover mold residue. Do not use any chemicals to treat the mold! The ceramics can absorb the chemicals and emit dangerous fumes when the EGG is in use thereafter.
  • IF you need one more vote!!
    I agree 100%...Do NOT use any bleach or other cleaning chemicals.
    A good fire will take care of the problem.
  • I agree, fire it up and you can scrape any loose residue from the grate and insides. Brush on the grates and loosely balled aluminum foil will work on the inside of the dome. No bleach or cleaning solutions necessary.
Sign In or Register to comment.