Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Rib success & pictures!

Options
schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked baby back ribs for the first time ever on my one week old large BGE. Followed Car Wash Mike's recipe and it was very easy (thanks Mike!). Two things I'd do different, 1) Put on more dry rub. Used 4 oz. of John Henry's Pecan Rub on three racks, will double this in the future as I'd like a little more spice and salty flavor. 2) Will put on more sauce in the finishing. Used Sweet Baby Rays Hickory & Brown Sugar (would recommend) on two racks and Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy on one rack (not sweet enough). I'd also like to get more char/burn on the outside of the ribs, will have to experiment.

Also, learned how to post pictures...so here's my Easter meal!

I like the mustard for the prep, really makes the rub stick and coagulate.

eggtestpictures133.jpg

Cut the racks in half for better fit.

eggtestpictures134.jpg

Here they are six hours later. These were very meaty ribs and they didn't ever "bend over" but a sample taste several different times indicated that they were fully cooked.

Eastercook003.jpg

30 minutes of finishing and they were ready to go, along with my Shiner Bock (the best beer brewed in Texas, which may not be saying a lot, but it is good).

Eastercook005.jpg

Top view...not bad for a rookie!

Eastercook006.jpg

Ribs, potatoes, and baked beans...doesn't get much better than this! Is the pink around the edge of the meat what the pros call the "smoke ring?"

Eastercook007.jpg

I'll sleep well tonight. Thanks for all the helpful advice from this forum. Appreciate it! SchmeeTex.

Comments