Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Breast Bone-in

Options
dwtdc
dwtdc Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked chicken breast bone-in and never gotten what I want from a good chicken breast. It's not bad but not anything I rave about. I cook indirect and cook until temp is 165 internal at about 350 degrees. It always has a nice mild smoke on outside but inside is so bland. I am using large breast. Should I use smaller breast? Should I cook longer. They are not just falling off bone. I want a chicken breast that is awesome!!!! Any recommendations?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    dwtdc,

You may want to try raised grid direct ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ebrooker007
    ebrooker007 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm usually using boneless chicken breast but I I try to beat the breast to a uniform thickness which I think makes the meat finish all at the same time and seems to be more tender. I also use direct raised grid.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    here's a Chicken Kiev recipe I posed several years ago that's perfect for bone in breast pieces and it's really quite tasty!
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=303
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Its a chicken breast, the meat is bland. If you want flavor inside you would have to inject it. Your temps are right on but don't expect to get falling off the bone in the Egg, for that you need to use a pressure cooker. Welcome to the club and post some pics of your cooks. -RP
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    If you have a publix try the greenwise brand. If not something similiar or organic. There really is a difference in chicken. It seems to show up more in the breast than other cuts to me. Also try experimenting with differenct pull temps. Some folks ( including me) like 170 better than 165.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    I do bone-in chicken breasts very often. What I have found works best is to lift the skin and place rub directly on the meat. If you like crispy skin, you can either sear the skin briefly, or leave the breasts out in the fridge overnight sprinkled with some salt. One way or the other, I always put my rub directly on the meat. Good luck.

015.jpg
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    I did the Sweet Orange Chicken recipe using just bone-in breasts for dinner tonight. They were VERY good. The recipe for 15-10-10 chicken breasts using the basting sauce with serrano peppers is also EXCEPTIONALLY good. I have converted the 15-10-10 recipe and used it for boneless/skinnless chicken just as successfully.
    Here's a picture of tonight's chicken. The brine makes the breast meat very moist and tasty. You gotta try it!
    2d97054f.jpg
  • dwtdc
    dwtdc Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try these tips. What temps do you all use for dome temp?