Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papaya juice

Options
Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone experimented with papaya juice in injectable marinades. My own experience has been that it is so powerful that even distribution of a very weak concentration is required to avoid a most disgusting slimy mush. But used with disgression can be very effective on thin cuts. What I'm interested in is big tuff cuts cooked only to the right internal temp for medium rare and still get to "fall apart". Do you think it's pie in the sky?

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Ray ,
    I think that it is worth a try. The enzyme in Papaya’s is often used to tenderize meat. I am guessing that you are talking about beef roast of some sort. Keep in mind that you will probably end up with a very Caribbean flavor to your meat and to me that could be a good thing. [p]Are you planning on adding anything else to the juice before injecting? I might try some allspice, thyme, garlic and ginger combination along with some sort of Chile heat. Also, I would let the meat sit for maybe four hours before cooking in order to give the papaya juice time to work. [p]I am not sure of the fall apart at medium rare part. That is usually reserved for Prime Rib.[p]This idea does sound good,
    RhumAndJerk[p]PS: Add a splash of rum to juice.[p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Ray ,
    Fruit and veggie-derived enzymes are innarestin things. I've experimented with them to a degree, both on my home cooks and in with Dizzy Pig competition and commercial rubs/concoctions.
    The two most notable fruit-based enzymes are papain and bromelaine from papaya and pineapple respectively. You can buy them in pill/powder form as 'digestive aids' in that they break down proteins and get that 2lb order of suicide wings broken down and through your intestinal tract...
    You're right; they will turn meats (protein) to mush with even moderate exposure. We used papaya nectar as a tenderizer on our Dizzy Pig competiton brisket for a while, but then we just went to a higher grade of meat and achieved the same results.
    Nothing wrong with 'playing' with papaya and pineapple as tenderizers, but, as you've discovered, it can and will turn meat to mush if you don't control the application...
    Food science is fun!
    Qfan

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    Ray ,[p]I tried using kiwi fruit a few times without any success. The first time I tried it on pork for about 1 ½ hrs and it did nothing to the meat. The second time I marinated a large chunk of cheap steak all day and it turned out really mushy. I think timing is the key, but I’ve been reluctant to try again. [p]RayS
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Ray ,[p]
    No dar papaya, por que papaya pelada, papaya comida.[p]

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Thank and the others for the interesting feedback.
    Happy Meals