Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'' HELP PLEASE" fire went out on butt!!!

Options
sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to bed at 4:ooam and fire was at 250deg every thing going good, at 8:00am fire out, meat was at 152internal, I took meat off covered with foil, and i"m starting fire over again."" Talk to me please""

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Stick it in your oven at about 250* and finish it there!
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    It would not be alright if i put it back on the egg?
  • egret
    Options
    Double wrap it in foil, then in the oven.....
  • egret
    Options
    Sure, you could do that! Just hold it in the oven until your fire is re-established.
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Oookaaayyy, that means i have to wake the wife up to turn on this all digital stove i bought her that i have not used(oven)that is, and this is going to be a problem, so let me see if i can get this oven on :laugh: :laugh:
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Woops! It should be fine once you get it going again. Breathe :lol:

(It's not too early to have a beer)

Seriously it should be fine. Even if the fire went out as soon as you went to bed at 4am, the temp would have stayed up in the egg for a little while.

Good recovery!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    Yeah thanks for the consolation, I"m breathing and butt is in the oven until temp stabilizes.
  • Linda123
    Linda123 Posts: 67
    Options
    sounds like a plan --lol
  • Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    You are fine. It should not take long to restablish your fire. You could have placed it in a cooler to hold while you fired up. Your meat was above 140 and the rule of thumb is: If between 40 and 140 degrees for more than 4 hours, throw it away. So at 152 you were fine. Good luck and enjoy some fine Q.
  • Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    exact same thing happened to me...you are find...mine went out and my meat was 116 internal.....I started it back up and cooked to 195....it was OUTSTANDING
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Things could be worse. I lost my butt at 90 degrees, cold egg, as newbie was not aware of difficulty of 230 all night. Learning experience. I've backed up and am learning temp and fire techniques. I'm about ready to do a butt again but am wary of the all night thing. Waking up at 3 am as a meat servant is just not quite in my repertoire, and I'm not ready to shell out for a remote thermometer since I had just bought a non remote, which I'm really impressed with.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Sounds you have this cook under control now.

For the future you might consider getting a remote thermometer like a Maverick ET-73. Costs about $40 and is well worth it for overnight cooks. I put my receiver unit next to the bed and check it a few times during the night. You can also set an alarm to ring if the temp drops too much. It has 2 probes - one for the meat and one for the grill.

I wouldn't do an overnight cook without one.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA