Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie. What is up with this format?

Options
markstanco
markstanco Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good LORD.

Drill down format circa 1994? Seriously, Why is vBulletin not used here? I signed up, and feel like I am in a time warp with my $700 grill.

C'MON BGE! Sheesh!

Comments

• markstanco
    Options
    Oh, and I have been a member of NUMEROUS forums for 8-9 years. Nothing new.

I cant remember where to even start with this format.

C'mon mods, sheesh. This layout is TERRIBLE.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    You'll get used to it QUICKLY...but you can't find the information and experts on any other forum. Complain about the lay out if you so choose....but it will be YOUR loss if you choose to fault this forum based on technology. (ps...many folks here have been here for MANY years, they love this place AND the true community behind it, and their knowledge will blow you away! My advice.... Walk softly. ;) They don't take too kindly to bulls. ;) ) And WELCOME! :)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    We get one of these every now and then. Most of the time selling software.

Mike
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    We have a couple in this forum we could intoduce a bull or two to....lol
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    You have to love someone who registers to complain about the format. TARGET PRACTICE at 600 yards?

Mike
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Let's see... All we know about you is that you live in the US, recently purchased a Big Green Egg for $700 and you complain a lot.

Why not kick back a bit and read some of the stuff your fellow Eggheads post here. I think you will find that it's a pretty good format for Eggactly what it does.

Oh yea, you might notice that there are quite a few Eggheads who own multiple Eggs. Also, there are lots of very knowledgeable IT people who don't complain about the format, especially on their first post.

Take it easy and you will grow to love us with our ancient methods.

Spring "Sometimes The Ancients Are Right" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, I love this place, take your time and yes walk gently I am a IT person, but this layout does not bother me. I get my info here and they are the nicest people to talk to. Please do not complain it will not help it will hinder :( Congrat on your new grill. If you choose not to use the forum it will be your loss.

Patti
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    maybe the threaded view or the flat view would be more to your liking? or the latest posts view ? located in the pull down tab 'forums'
    dispite your opinion, check the numbers , there is a reason there are 15K members and 500+ online at 0800 on a holiday weekend saturday morning..
    welcome and buy a thermopen B) if you do not have one
    bill
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL and Welcome on this fine Holiday weekend! You know sometimes the old ways are not so bad?? I mean we are all cooking on coal right?? Once you are here a bit it will be second nature. Many of us are on numerous BBQ boards and the only one I spend any amount of time on and post is this one. think of coming to this forum as going to grandmas for Sunday dinner. nothing is cooked in the microwave it all takes a little longer but you relax and enjoy the company and the food and the whole package. you will get many answers to any help questions you have and many pats on the back for a good cook and tears for any tragedies on the egg and off. there is a reason all these people migrate to Egg Fests all over the country to meet each other... it is not just another BBQ forum.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    people migrate to eggfests to walk around in bare feet and spill stuff on them :laugh: next year i think you, me and sparky should be "team bare foot" i will bring the spongebob bandaids .
    did you use the ham bone yet?
    bill
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Wow, I couldn't believe what I was reading. He's complaining before he even gets use to it. My first post was that this looks great but seems over whelming. Doesn't take long to get use to it. What a great first impression....Welcome to the forum
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I think Team Barefoot is a good idea!!! Sponge Bob band aides.... LC can Cristen us with a little red.... Sparky can take pics of it all..... we would be a force to be feared!! TEAM BARE FOOT!!! BEWARE!!!!!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    markstanco wrote:
    Good LORD.

Drill down format circa 1994? Seriously, Why is vBulletin not used here? I signed up, and feel like I am in a time warp with my $700 grill.

C'MON BGE! Sheesh!

I had the same impression when I got here. It's easy to change the way the pages are viewed at the top of the page, just click around on threaded view, flat view, classic view and find one you like. Thankfully you do not have to open each post individually, you can open a topic as a thread.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    While I can appreciate all the sentiment regarding get your feet wet before complaining, but I've got to say he's right. I spend quite a bit of time on a football related web board that runs a newer software and it is absolutely more user friendly.

For example: there is a reason why every single day there is a new thread on gaskets. There's a reason there are at least 2 new threads every Saturday morning on "help...my fire went out during a butt cook"

It would be SO nice to be able to pin a few threads (I LOVE Grandpa Grub's thread with all the helpful links...that should be pinned at the top) And most of the new board technologies let you "bump" a thread instead of creating a new one. If I reply to someone's thread on a particular pizza technique it pops it up to the top of the board.

Not complaing at all. This board is an amazing resource with a ton of great people. Just saying the original poster is correct that the technology is out of date and this forum could be better
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Count me in.... :laugh: ...
    DSC00075.jpg
  • WessB
    Options
    Many of us argued about even advancing to "this" forum technology.....you just can NOT please everyone...consider this place like pullin a stool up to the bar and shootin the bull with your buddies...lots of conversations goin on at one time, and ya kinda just tune into the one that interests you...BTW you can set your profile to always show latest post first and active thread first ( as far as the bump goes ) but yes..once it's older than 3 days or so it wont show at the top again..
  • thanks for the expert opinion.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I've got ugly feet, I am out. This team is only for pretty feet people.......yes :blink:
  • Albs
    Albs Posts: 30
    Options
    As I have told former employees, if you don't like it here, quit complaining and LEAVE!
  • WessB
    Options
    LOL...my feet are about as far away from pretty as you can get...and I don't recommend all day in a parking lot....felt like I had been walking on broken glass for days afterwards...
  • WessB
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This was an advance? :huh: I can only imagine what it must have been like before! Don't get me wrong... I am grateful to have such a wealth of information at my fingertips, not to mention the friendly helpful people around these parts, but as to format, I have to say that I agree with the OP (though I can't imagine saying that in my first post). You would think he would have looked around a bit and if he didn't like it, he wouldn't have joined.

My biggest problem with the format is that I have to open each and every post rather than opening a thread and just reading down the page. I have tried all of the view options, as far as I know, and none of them let me see anything other than, the thread title repeated over and over. If I am doing something wrong and there really IS a way to read an entire thread without having to open one post at a time, I would love to know how.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    Options
    I use classic view and yes I do have to open each post 1 at a time...given the tiers of a thread...replies to replies other than the original post...I really don't see how you could make sense of it all if every reply opened at the same time..or I just totally misunderstood what you meant...seriously..
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Flat view shows the content of each post in a thread.

I prefer classic view, and I open threads of interest in a new tab, then when I complete that thread I close the tab. The first tab always remains on the main forum thread list.

While I agree there are more modern forum technologies out there, this is our home. Has been for years. I would certainly hope you don't get invited to dinner at someone's home and start fussing about the worn carpet or the color on the walls. They are comfortable there and may actually happen to like it the way it is.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Wess, I was talking about this type of format... once you open a thread, this is what you see.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81729

To me, that's much easier to follow, that's all.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    markstanco wrote:
    Good LORD.

C'MON BGE! Sheesh!

I'll just bet that you didn't sign up for Latin class, either....
    this particular forum works better because of this format. It has character and gives one a sense of community not found on other sites. Stick around: this group and it's format are really quite unique.
    And lastly, IF I HAD TO LEARN IT, EVERYONE HAS TO LEARN IT.... :woohoo: :P :laugh: :evil:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I'll be dammed! I would swear I had tried everything! THANK YOU, Rod!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    Options
    Gotcha...many other unrelated forums I use are that format, I accept them that way and have no problem with it, but I also like this forum the way it is...people always ask for Vbulletin or smf type od forums...in my opinion once you start adding 23 forum categories with 18 subforums under that..it becomes more of a database then the chat room type atmosphere of what we have now...sure those newer types are easier to "research" butt not just socialize with friends.....one poster in this thread mentioned the repeated posts about fire out or this or that and needin stickies and stuff...well I'm here to tell ya, that aint a result of this forum software..is a direct reflection on a posters part for 1...not at least reading the screen in front of them...and 2.....not using the "search" tool....To often someone will just open up the forum and ask a question, could be ansewred 2 threads below, but they just don't do any research before asking..and unfortunately that will always be..
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    ....To often someone will just open up the forum and ask a question, could be ansewred 2 threads below, but they just don't do any research before asking..and unfortunately that will always be..

Ain't THAT the truth?! No forum software will fix that. I used to be a mod on another forum and one day, I saw one too many of those posts. I replied to that hapless individual that he should try doing a little of the work himself. In less than diplomatic terms. :) The other mods thought I was too rude to a noob - and they were probably right. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Dude, I agree that type of forum is easy to follow -- especially with the ability to show only new posts since last visit.

However -- this forum branched into a few sections over the past year and no one wants to use the OT section. The feedback section is used for probably half of the technical issues. The table section is used sparingly for "look at my new table" posts.

You really expect that people will suddenly follow the rules and post is appropriate sections? There are no regular moderators here - so no one would be tending to the posts and moving stuff to where it needs to be and keeping it clean. Other vBulletin type forums have several mods that keep it cleaned up and organized.

A new forum format implemented here would still be 90%+ one section. You can't break habits of a group that have been posting in a particular way for several years.