Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dad would be proud!

Options
schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of our family traditions was dad firing up the old charcoal grill for steaks, burgers, or chicken which led to a lifelong love affair with cooking over flames. We lost him to cancer 14 years ago and I have to admit to feelings of guilt the last 10 years as I opted for the quick and easy gas grill method. The lengthy lighting process, messy ashes, and grill hot spots just didn't seem worth the hassle.

One month ago, one of my golf buddies told me about his Big Green Egg. I thought, if this thing is so great why haven't I heard about it before...but as fate would have it...I kept hearing about the BGE from other sources. Then I stumbled upon this forum and even started dreaming (no kidding) about cooking over my own egg.

Last Sunday, I went to BBQ Outfitters in Austin to learn more and walked out an hour later having spent $1400 on a large egg, table, and all the "must have" accessories touted on this board. (Yes...you are an influential group.)

The ribeye steaks on Tuesday were awesome, the whole chicken on Wednesday was okay (very moist but needed to be more crisp on the outside), excellent burgers on Thursday, and tonight's pizza got an "A". I've always been a baby back rib lover but never cooked them myself. That will change on Easter Sunday as I put Car Wash Mike's recipe to the test.

Dad would never have spent this much on a grill (he always bought the $50 models that rusted out in a year or two)...but it sure feel goods (and tastes good) to be cooking over charcoal again...and I know he approves.

Not sure if I'll ever become a Master BGE Chef like many of you...but this newbie is looking forward to learning! Thanks for all the helpful advice. This forum is awesome!

Comments

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    That's awesome! You will grow to love it even more as time goes by, I promise. One thing I have started to tell every one of my friends that get a new egg though is this, you can expect some fails and some disappointing cooks.....that comes with the learning curve of a BGE, or any cooker like it really. All in all though, once you get the hang of it, nothing finer. And honestly, I will admit that while I use to pull out the egg to impress folks once I first got it, then I would use it about 4 times a month but I also would use my gasser for a lot more cooks than I would the Egg....and I have had mine for 5+ years......that has changed over the last year though since I have really gotten to know my Egg and how to use it. Now it is a absolute joy to cook on, and lots of days the highlight of the day just getting to sit out and slow cook something while spending time with the family, OR while just enjoying cold beers.

One other thing.....on the whole chicken not being crisp, buy yourself a raised grid.....cook it on that and it will crisp it up. You can also let it "dry" in the fridge overnight too, that helps to crisp up the skin.
  • Spoon
    Spoon Posts: 328
    Options
    Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.
    "Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, my dad grilled over charcol all year round I remember him with snow everywehre he was out there cooking. We lost him last August, but at least he got to taste food on the Egg he loved all of it. If you can please post pics we love pictures.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    Options
    Congrats on the new family member. Sounds like it is going well.

Keep on egging and be sure to post pics.

Daniel
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    welcome, schmeetex, and thanks for posting that. i suspect, if your dad could taste the food, he would be proud.
    bill
  • Grilling Away in ?
    Options
    Welcome to the EGG. It will be a most enjoyable addiction for you, family and friends. Have a great Easter weekend and keep egging!
  • Bear
    Bear Posts: 32
    Options
    Schmeetex,
    Welcome aboard, you will love it. This forum is an absolutely great source of information as well!
    ;):):lol:

B.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Way cool introduction!
    Welcome here! Your gonna love it, I promise.
    I wonder, too, what my dad would have thought...
    sadly I'll never know..but I do know that I sure love it, no question there.
    Keep in touch...
  • schmeetex
    schmeetex Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks Rick...I already wish tomorrow was here so I can get cookin' on the ribs.