Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ping grampasgrub, re pastrami

Options
giantwing
giantwing Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Kent,
I dont have pictures but I wanted to update you.
I used a point of a brisket and corned it myself using steven raimprecthts turkey pastrami recipe.
I had bought this Sunday, i corned it Monday night and did not get a chance to egg it until this am.
I was really confused on the time of cook.
Anyway, at 11 am i put it on at 220: then left for work.
At 4.30 my daughter told me it was internal 179.
Any way i pulled and did the wet third eye method.
It is good but over done.
I would recomend the do it yourself corn though.
If I would have pulled earlier and tinfoiled it would have been great. I think the meat has a better texture.

Thanks for the help

Mike

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Thanks Mike for letting me know. What was your target temperature for this cook?

My biggest difficulty with cooking is the timing. A long time ago the folks on the forum told me to cook to temperature, which was one of the best things I have learned here.

Using the pre-corned it took me 2 or 3 cooks to get it where I was really happy. Those first few were pretty good eating but not what I was looking for.

I will have to try doing my own corning and see how it turns out.

Kent
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    I thought it would take 4-5 hours at that temp to get to the 150-160 internal like it says in the third eye recipe. It went quicker and so it was over done.
    The corning must make for a shorter cooking period.
    Oh well live and learn.
    Happy easter
    MIke