Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid is slightly off on egg

Options
Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,

I replaced my gasket today, but when I closed the lid on my egg, I noticed that it is slightly off with the bottom... At least by 1/4 inch.

I went on BGE FAQ's and I followed the instructions about the "gap issue". I tried losening the upper band -to move the lid, you know - no way, the bolt is unmoveable. So I went with option two and loosened and retightened the screws on the hinge... still the "off" thing is still there.

Should I just let it be? (don't know if it leaks yet, as the gasket is brand new on it)

Thanks

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Are you saying you were unable to loosen the "band bolt" which is the big one on the side ( top and bottom band ) that "should" be bent? You will have to get those loosened up in order to try to fix the situation...
  • Ms.
    Options
    Yes... will ask the fiance to try.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    my gap is off as well since i put nomex gasket on my egg. nomex is thicker than the origianl felt. it is on my list of things to do when i have time since it hasn't affected my cooking at all. as long as you can hold temp at 250 I don't see it as a problem but will fix it one day...maybe when I am unemployed....
  • WessB
    Options
    Once you get them both loosened, doesn't have to be completely unthreaded.....move the dome to get it aligned with the base also pay attention that the bands are as near to the lip, not the openingwhere the felt is..but the other lip above and below the band....and then begin to re-tighten the bands evenly...do a 1/2 turn top, 1/2 turn bottom, 1/2 turn top, 1/2 turn bottom...you get the idea.....I have had good success keeping things aligned by tightening like that...aint a 100% gaurantee, but has worked for me several times...
  • Ms.
    Options
    It's not the Nomex gasket, but the BGE one. It doesn't really matter, anyway. The result is the same.
  • Ms.
    Options
    We've been checkint it out for a while, now, and the bands don't seem to be the problem. It looks as if the hinge is askew...

The fiance thinks he has figured out, though. He always figures it out. Which is why I'll always love him. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Isabelle, it's good you are getting some practice on this one. If you are putting another felt gasket on, you will likely be doing it again soon. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ms.
    Options
  • Ms.
    Options
    Oh, and if anyone can point me to a place where I can buy a Nomex gasket without paying over 20$ in shipping fees... let me know! :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Email BGE customer service as Bruce had been sending
    the Nomex replacement gaskets.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Isabelle, I fried my first gasket and my dealer got me a Nomex replacement at no charge. If that doesn't work, call BGE, as loco_engr said and see what happens. If THAT doesn't work, you can order 1/8"x1" aramid strips from McMaster-Carr. Nomex = aramid.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aramid-fabric-strips/=6h5m2y

Not sure about McMaster's shipping charge, but it's $0.45 USD per foot. Comes in 10' or 50' lengths.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WessB
    Options
    Cool...got pulled away with a phone call..feel free to ask away if it don't go as planned..
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What Wess said

Check out the band and make sure it is against the lip - I had the same issue quite a while back.

Pictorially - After changing my gasket the bands were not against the lip and the dome was misalligned - had to loosen the bolt and push it up - may take a little fanagleling and creativity. :unsure:
    101_2613640x480.jpg

This is what I did - reversed a clamp
    101_2462640x480.jpg

101_2616640x480-1.jpg

I suggest to try to get it aligned before firing that puppy up. Good luck with it.
  • WessB
    Options
    Visuals make it SO much easier to understand..Thanks Frank...Ms should be back in business in no time..
  • Ms.
    Options
    Thanks Frank, but unfortunately I have a large, and the hinge doesn't look like that at all...

And it is not the band, finally. It really is the hinge. The band is perfecly fit, and if we open the lid, close it, open it and close it again, the misalignment starts again.

I am thinking of calling my dealer. The way it is now, it is obvious that I will be burning my second gasket in no time, as it is half inside the egg. :(
  • Ms.
    Options
    As I said a bit above, the problem doesn't seem to be with the bands. We played with those for almost an hour, and when all was tight and good looking... opening and closing the lid twice misaligned everything again. :(

We called it a night now, but we will be checking it again tomorrow.

Could it be that the screws on the hinge are too tight? The hinge seems to be pulling on the lid, but not releasing it back as much in front as it was.

Thank you for you time. :kiss:
  • Ms.
    Options
    Problem is I'm in Canada, and here, instead of being sent a nice Nomex, I got berated for not waiting long enough to cook at high temperatures... :unsure: Very nicely berated, mind you, and very politely, but nevertheless, I wasn't offered a new gasket, let alone a Nomex.

I very much doubt that BGE US will be servicing me here in Canada... Although I will try them after the Easter holiday. You never know. Thanks for the tip.
  • WessB
    Options
    Franks pics are of the band and hinge on an XL...which is absolutely different than a large...I belileve his intent in the pics was to give you an understanding of what I was saying about the band being against the lip..which can be rather confusing with words...if my tightening doesn't fix it..by all means contact your dealer..but Franks pics should give you a better understanding of what I was trying to explain..
  • Ms.
    Options
    Oooh... excuse my French, one again! I didn't catch what you meant by "lip", until I started studying the picture with your comment...

Even though I'm a translator, sometimes I need to do more research to discover the true meaning of things... :laugh: