Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allright all you AR owners

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just recently got my own adjustabe rig, I got the oval version with an extra oval grid and slide with the extender...the possibilities look endless...Was hoping some of you owners would post some pics of some of the more inventive, ingenius, or plain old simple configurations...with or without food...would love to get some inspiration.....Lookin forward to seein what ya have come up with..

Comments

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Options
    No pics but I love my AR I also got the spider and wok haven't used them yet. I have did ribs, burgers and brats. Will be using this weekend. Will post pics.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    I got my AR/Spider/Oval grid last week. Still need to get the slide guides, and I'm going to get the extender at the same time. I've only used the AR twice so far - the first time just for a raised direct cook with no other pieces involved, and the 2nd time was for baking bread where I placed a stone at the bottom of the rig to keep the direct heat off the loaf pan which was on top of the rig on the round grid.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I like cooking higher up in the dome. Since getting my AR, several years ago, I have done less than 6 cooks without using AR. Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks and hearing your thoughts.

Extended distance from lump cooking - 16.5" low chicken cook.

chicken1.jpg

chicken3.jpg

High temperature chicken cook 500° Direct
    chick500.jpg

Char Sui
    charsui1.jpg

charsui2.jpg

charsui4.jpg

charsui5.jpg

GG
  • WessB
    Options
    Very cool.....I'm surprised you could get the dome closed in that first pic with the BGE extended grid on top of the AR..had to be just about touching the top of the dome...I see a lot of versatility in you pictures...Thanks Kent..
  • WessB
    Options
    Look forward to seein what ya come up with...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you can cook two layers of ribs or bb standing verticle with the rig which means alot of ribs, what makes the rig good for this is the ability to simply remove the whole setup, rearange and drop it all back in at once, no fooling around with an open dome.

heres a butt cooked direct, ribs i do this way all the time, with the rig, minamal lump, and a direct setup, you burn maybe half as much lump than you do with a direct setup, most of my cooks are done direct now.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=507801&catid=1

if you got the spider this setup does something you will never see anyother way in an egg, it pushes the fire above the inderect stone and the heat sits above the food like a broiler

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=411252

heres some low and slow wings done direct, notice how little lump in the direct rig burns gets used

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=491362&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    sorry i got out of the picture taking thing for awhile and do not have anything except one picture of four butts

DSC_0014.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• WessB
    Options
    Awesome inventiveness ( LOL is that even a word ) Thanks for the links and the advice..I need to get the spider, I thought I already had one, but it turns out it was really one of Tom's original wok rings from MANY years back..
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Those are some great shots, Kent. About how long did the chicken take at 500°F ?
  • WessB
    Options
    Thanks Terry, I like how that shows all the room you have to stagger the meat around..plenty of room left with what I would guess to be some 30# of butts...
  • RVH
    Options
    nm :laugh: :laugh: :)
  • WessB
    Options
    :laugh: ..gotta admit I wouldn't be of much help with that one....but I like it... :)
  • RVH
    Options
    One neat thing about using the AR is that should you need to get at your lump for some reason, the whole shebang, several levels of food and all, can be quickly lifted out of the egg.

P.S please excuss my smartass comment above..it's been that kind of day around here. :woohoo:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Wess the most different thing I have seen was posted by Mike (Lawn Ranger) of using
    for kbobs. Hope he sees this and will post.
    I am like Kent as I never pull mine out of the egg anymore.
    Cannot belive you have not had one all this time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WessB
    Options
    I did see LR kabob post, was quite impressive...honestly I been gettin by fine with my BGE raised grid and all the other accesories I already own...but once I started lookin at his rig I knew...it's time for a new toy..and I knew there also was no question of quality...I have a few things Tom has made in the past, and they are all wonderful...this AR is a bit intimidating at first.... :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yea that is about right!!

i usually use it for country ribs and other low and slows. i use te pizza stone as a platesetter and i use the platesetter as a platesetter when i do pizzas

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• WessB
    Options
    I like the idea of that also...and your comment was fine...a little humor is a welcome thing at this point..
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    Anyone using a setup with the AR for pizza where they use a stone on top of the rig and another stone at the bottom of the rig or on the spider for an indirect piece? Just curious.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Judy gave me a whole mess of TJV's stuff a couple of years ago and I felt the same way. There were so many possibilities that I didn't know where to start. And it was all so pretty and clean and shiny... So it sat there for a while until one day I just started looking at it and trying to configure different setups. It was then that I realized I should pay close attention to other Egghead's setups.

I've since won another TJV accessory at the Plano Fest and it greatly expands my possibilities.

I finally decided I needed a smaller pizza stone for indirect setups with the Spider. Now I have a number of pizza stones and can probably do multiple pizza's or ribs and wings or wings and wings or ........

But I don't know that many people around here I want to feed LOL. Unless it's a party.

I might order some stuff for my small. Got Chubby's Grate Mates but haven't used them in a long time. Maybe now I should start using them too.

The Mini has no accessories. I should do something about that.

Please post pictures of whatever setups you come up with.

By the way, I also bought one of those cast iron grids with the three inserts and optional griddle. I've used it once but hope to use it again soon. I think it's a great idea. I just need to learn how to use it.

Hi to Sally.

Spring "Lots Of Egg Toys And No Learjet Yet" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Kenny 13
    Options
    When you start looking at the multitude of setups you can do with the AR, you also start thinking of more eggcessories to buy for use with it :)

I know I need to get a 13" CI grid to use on the spider, and I'll probably be ordering a wok in the next week or so.
  • WessB
    Options
    Leroy...you aint never at a loss for words my friend.. :laugh: I'm not sure how to reply to all of that short of saying I agree with everything you said...my gratemates "live" in my small, and I dont much doubt the AR will live in the large once I settle into a "most used" setup....Thanks for all the info..
    PS...I hear the Learjet is on backorder, somethin bout that leather you requested....Luv ya brother..you and Judy are in for the times of your life in the very near future...
  • WessB
    Options
    That is something that I already envisioned...I would imagine many are using that set up..I know I intend to..
  • WessB
    Options
    :laugh: TJV aint a stupid man by any means...and he has a forum full of toy lovers...
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    I do pizzas high in the dome with the AR & spider:

Pizzabreadsticks3-28-10004.jpg
  • WessB
    Options
    I like the looks of that....obviously the AR fits around the legs of the platesetter..with a setup like that you might consider putting on the rain cap a minute or 2 before the pizza is done to trap all that heat right on top of the pie....Thanks..
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    It works well, never tried the cap trick you mentioned but may give that a shot. Usually browns up pretty nice top & bottom up there.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    JB,

Wicked good. I didn't know that you could use the platesetter and the rig.
    Great question Wess.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Here's a few Wess

Turkey breast

100_3977.jpg

country ribs,, you can see Tom's 13- 14 inch drip pan

100_3793.jpg

A few butts

100_1834.jpg

Chicken and veggies

100_1817.jpg

100_1818.jpg

Yours wont look like this for long

100_1815.jpg

really thick pork steaks/ country ribs

101_2023.jpg

and as someone mentioned you can just lift the whole rig out of the egg for any rearranging you need to do

101_2318.jpg

The AR never leaves that egg. I do have the slider and extender now but no pics yet.
  • WessB
    Options
    Very useful pics..Thanks Pat..so the 13" stone or pan is the recommended size for a large egg with a spider?..
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Yes I also bought the 16" but thought it was too big so I gave it to Sparky. That is a 14" but I think the 13 is all Tom can get now.