Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugar coated steak?!!

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone heard about sugar coating steaks? I friend mentioned it to me and it sounded interesting. Before I give it a go, I thought I'd see if it has been done by anyone on the forum.[p]Smokey

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Smokey,[p] As a consultant for the government, I know more than my share about sugar coating things ;-). Seriously though, I would be a bit wary of putting a lot of sugar on something you're going to cook at high temperatures. Sugar will melt and burn at those temperatures. You'll probably get a blackened, nasty crust (I had an experience with some honey marinated chicken breasts that ended similarly). Having said this, I do believe that Char Crust has some sugar in it. My conjecture is that adding a bit of sugar gets you the crust part of the Char Crust. However, keep in mind that the product isn't 100% sugar.[p]MikeO
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Along those lines, most rub recipes I've seen call for some type of sugar. Most in Smoke and Spice call for brown sugar while a few call for plain old white sugar. As MikeO points out, however, it's not 100% sugar. That being said, I'd imagine sprinking some amount of sugar similar to the amount specified in these rub recipes on a steak wouldn't be bad since we often sprinkle that same amount of sugar on things by virtue of using the rub.[p]Run-on-ingly yours,
    Cornfed