Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rim all cleaned up

Options
Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I removed the torn gasket last night. My egg looks nice. All done in about 20 minutes. Very proud of myself B) and the fiance cannot believe that his woman is spending so much time caring for her "barbecue", as he still calls the egg.
24807_385256897102_671732102_3647016_6471057_n.jpg
Now I have to reflect on putting the gasket on or not. :ermm:

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    If it doesn't leak smoke and will still maintain stabalized low temps..you may very well not need it...just try to remember not to drop it during a flashback..there will be no cushion at all..most gaskets are smashed down so much it probably doesn't make a difference anyway..
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Nice job, now the bigger question is there a better product out there to act as a gasket that you can apply to the BGE? Someone on here must have solved the gasket issue at some point.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I would call the mothership and tell them your gasket fried or slid off (whatever happened) after a few cooks. I bet they will send you a nomex.
  • SmokinInCypress
    Options
    I saw your post the other day... Did you go with the Acetone method? Did you remove the top? I messed my gasket up about 10 days ago and will need to ultimately replace it.

Thanks, trying to figure out how I will fix my gasket.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Isabelle,

Call the grill guys, or see your dealer.
    www.biggreenegg.ca

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    I removed the dome and yes I did use acetone to cleanup the rim.

101_2459640x480.jpg

Fred's Music and BBQ has a good video on replacing a gasket. http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

The only thing I would add is make sure the gasket is flush with the ID (small overhang to the outside) and spray the 3M Super 77 in a cup and apply with a cheap brush to avoid overspray. The above pic shows the dome and table masked off - someone gave the hint of spraying and brushing and it works fine.

Good luck with it
  • Ms.
    Options
    Oh, I talked to BGE Canada all right!

They berated me for cooking up too high too fast! :laugh:

Anyway, my dealer gave me a gasket for free, without a question.
  • Ms.
    Options
    I used acetone, but I didn't remove the lid. I did it with a rag, wearing surgical gloves. It went fine. The egg is happy.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Isabelle,

Other than a bit of cushioning, I don't think that a gasket makes all that much difference. I haven't had one on either of my eggs for some time (a couple of years on my medium) and haven't noticed any performance issues for any type of cook. They do leak a bit of smoke out the sides, but hold what ever temp just fine.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I'd fire it up without the gaskets, see how it performs then if it seems like it doesn't hold temps and leaks excessive smoke then I would install the gaskets....my 2 cents :)
  • Ms.
    Options
    Yeah, but once I light it up, it's unavoidable, the rim will get dirty again, and I will have to clean it up once more... I'm too lazy for that.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    :laugh: time to put on the new gasket
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :ohmy: [ul]Shame on BGE CA for berating you !![/ul]
    NOWHERE in the BGE instruction booklet or video does it say anything about not cooking at a high temp for any length of time!!
    At least your dealer is responsive :) !
    Like Firetruck said, "You go, girl!"
    BTW, tell you fiance that your new BGE is your new baby, so be nice to it B)
  • Ms.
    Options
    Really? It says nothing about that?

She let me to believe it actually did, and since I had not caught that, I didn't argue...

Had I been smarter, I would have argued that since their instructions were in English only, it was all their fault (they are supposed, by law, to provide us frogs with French instructions), but they already know I'm a translator... :whistle:
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Lookin good! Go for it install the new gasket. :laugh: