Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How important, a long handle on a wok?

Options
Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a very fun (and luckily not tooo expensive) trip to the local restaurant supply store yesterday.
One thing they had that I think I'm headed back for, is a 16" hand hammered wok, and the best part is, it's only 13 dollars!
But, I noticed it's only got 2 loop handles, and no long one...I don't think that's a deal breaker, but just wondered if anybody had anything to say about that...

Besides, I need to go back for allll kinds of other stuff I saw.... :laugh:

PS, it's at Curtis Rest. Supply, and they did have at least 5 other sizes of hand hammered woks, right up to about 30".

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    It's not going to affect the cooking characteristics. It will be up to your hands heat tolerance &/or willingness to use an insulator for handling.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You can use both, however if you ever want to use a bamboo steamer and clese the lid on the BGE the loop handles allow the lid to close, the handle gets in the way. I have a few of each for different reasons and the handle helps to flip the food, but so does a wok spatual.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    With a good glove you will be fine - pick up one of them while you there as well :)

I use a loop handle one.
    IMG_3289800x600.jpg

Season it with some crisco - here is the process I followed http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/wokcare.html

Enjoy your shopping :) and wokking :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That's what I use (D-handles). You can't "toss" stuff as easily, but mine sits right on the coals so that's not an option anyway. If you use a spider (or directly on the coals), the long handle would get in the way. Mine is a 14", which fits down into the large nicely.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    What you've got there is a Cantonese-style or southern-style wok. The ones with the handles are northern-style or Peking woks. I use a Cantonese wok on my egg, and bought a pair of welding gloves (though I usually only wear one on my right hand, so I can use my left hand to stir) to keep from burning my hands.

When you go back to the store, other things to buy will be a lid, a ladle and a shovel/spatula, all of which are specific to the size of the wok you buy. Another thing you might look for are chinese chives, which (along with lard) are used in the traditional method of seasoning a wok. Chinese chives are completely different from the regular chive herb you'll see in a standard grocery store.

-edit- I went back and read the original post, and see that you're at a restaurant supply store...I was thinking chinatown...you might not be able to find chinese chives after all. ;)
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Really appreciate the knowledge and friendliness.
    So, I'm thinking a Cantonese style wok will do me juuuust fine! :)
    The welding gloves I use for the D.O. will work, good idea!
    It looked like they only had a one size fit's all "scooper", (spatula-thingy.)
    Come to think of it, there IS an Asian market across town...so I'll make a run there, too, and look for more utensils, and those Chives as well!
    THANKS!
  • Ricklesss
    Options
    I can see how those bamboo steamer baskets would be fun, and handy too, but how important is a wok lid?
    I haven't noticed any photos of one here. (not that that means anything)
    When would I use a lid?
    I'll be ordering a "Breath of a Wok", soon...
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I'd go there first, you might find a better wok, and it might actually be cheaper. I can almost guarantee you that you'll find accessories that will be sized specific for the wok, and knowledgeable people to give advice (provided there isn't a language barrier). ;)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    The lid is useful for lots of applications, most common is probably cooking veggies. When stir-frying a dish with veggies, it's common to give them a sear, then add a couple tablespoons of water and cover to steam them until they're soft. Then remove the lid to evaporate the rest of the water, add (previously seared) meat, sauce and serve.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    i think i paid 22 dollars in china town for the 16 inch handhammered loop one and the 14 inch straight metal handled one total. they are cheap, buy one of each. get all the stuff boilermaker ben mentioned as well, the aluminum top comes in handy for alot of things, i use it stove top for alot of things like firming up an omelwt etc. i use the 14 inch one the most for really hot cooks with the single handle, and the looped handle one for med heat cooks where i might want to shut the dome, either way, you still need to use a glove
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Ricklesss wrote:
    I'll be ordering a "Breath of a Wok", soon...

I just got my copy from amazon.com on Monday. I'm about 40 pages into it right now and it's an excellent book. I hate to put it down to go to sleep at night!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    My two loop hammered steel wok woks great.