Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

any fans here of Sriracha sauce?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today our local fish wrapper had a featured article on Sriracha, which they described as an extremely versatile sweet, garlicky hot sauce made in CA by a Vietnamese immigrant. It even said Bon Appetit named it "ingredient of the year". I'm off to buy a bottle, but I wondered if others here have used it.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    It depends which brand you get..because sweet it is not...hot is more like it... ;)

I use it quite a bit in a shrimp dish and in a wing recipe combining it with some sweet preserves and sesame oil.

but yes I highly recommend getting a bottle...it is good stuff. :P

this is the kind we buy the most

Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce Huy Fong
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sriracha is a staple in our house. Versatile is a great word for it. We also depend on Sambel Olek.

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm

Enjoy.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron,

Sriracha comes in a few types. The Saigon style has a lot of sugar, the **** brand isn't too sweet. I like Uncle Chen's but it is pretty spicy and medium sweet. For a couple of bucks a bottle get them all.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I love it, and personally find the "Rooster" to be a sweet/hot sauce. It's not sweet as compared to a sweet barbecue sauce but is way sweeter than a tabasco type sauce. I use it by itself and also mixed with ketchup.
  • azbbguy
    azbbguy Posts: 191
    Bacchus wrote:
    I love it, and personally find the "Rooster" to be a sweet/hot sauce. It's not sweet as compared to a sweet barbecue sauce but is way sweeter than a tabasco type sauce. I use it by itself and also mixed with ketchup.

I love the stuff.. I love making glazes for ribs with it, and use it on quite a few things..

Sriacha Aioli is good as hell..
  • Oh lordy, didn't you try the sriracha/marmalade chicken wings at Eggwegofest last year, Ron? Good stuff. We make them on a regular basis.
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    I'm a fan of rooster too..packs a unique garlic punch...Love it on pizza, or dipping sauce made with mayo,sriracha and a little rice wine vinegar. We always have a back up bottle for fear we may run out in the middle of a meal..lol
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    RRP wrote:
    Today our local fish wrapper had a featured article on Sriracha, which they described as an extremely versatile sweet, garlicky hot sauce made in CA by a Vietnamese immigrant. It even said Bon Appetit named it "ingredient of the year". I'm off to buy a bottle, but I wondered if others here have used it.

We use it a lot. The one we use isn't all that sweet but it is spicy.

Some uses:
    - I add a good TBS to a lot of stews even if they're not Asian for a little bit of background heat.
    - Use it in a dip for Asian food such as grilled lemongrass chicken or potstickers with various combinations of rice vinegar, soy sauce and ginger.

Tasty!

UKMatt
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Used to use Crystal all the time but now use the rooster and like Bacchus said with ketchup.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I like it alot. Have used it for years.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    I don't know what I'd do without the stuff. I do a lot of Asian cooking and as Nature Boy said, "it is a staple".
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I had some on asain type rice paper wrapped rolls. Very good. Got me hooked as well. Gonna get some myself. The squeeze bottle Rooster is the one I like. Never tried the others.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • ha ha...gotta love those asian "staples."

Unfortunately, every region has their own staple...and I like to try a bunch of different things. So I have a bottle of fish sauce (Vietnamese staple), oyster sauce (chinese), soy sauce (ubiquitous), kecap manis (indonesian), black bean sauce (chinese), chili bean paste (chinese), and the list goes on...thankfully, many of them are already fermented/gone bad/rotten and are shelf stable, or I'd run out of fridge space.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I use it a lot to add a little kick to almost any dish. There are a ton of versions of it out their (depending on how good your local Asian market is). The Huy Fong version your paper is talking about is commonly called Rooster Sauce because of the bird on the label.

wings_010210P1010271.JPG

It's great in this wing recipe:
    Spicy Orange Wings
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Ben, you are so right. My cabinets and fridge are overflowing with Asian sauces and condiments.

Once my brother came to visit in Denver and noticed that I did not refrigerate a lot of my Asian stuff. One day when I was at work, he 'cleaned' and threw out all my nonrefrigerated Asian stuff. It took everything I had not to kill him. I can laugh about it now. Time seeems to heal all. (He also took a marking pen and actually wrote the date on each egg in the fridge. My neighbor said that was borderline, lol).
  • Hah. Get your revenge by constantly pointing out when he's eating things that are made by letting them "go bad": blue cheese, fermented sausages, etc. Give him the old "you know how that's made, don't you?"
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Try adding a shot of Worcestershire to your srirracha (about 3 parts srirracha to 1 part Worcestershire). It makes a great dipping sauce for almost anything fried.

I also add it to mayo to heat things up a bit as a sandwich spread.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i like it with eggs, i add some chives and a little fishsauce to the scrambled eggs before cooking, and a few drops of the sauce when eating. when you buy it look for this garlic chili sauce, theres a sweat sticky garlic thai chili suace you can make with it thats as good as candy, good for chicken, pork tenderloin, grilled pineapple, even fried green tomatoes. i make my own hot sauce from scratch, crying tiger sauce, really good on marinated steak. when i got the egg i thought i would never marinate a steak again, but this is truly a great cook

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/garlic.htm

crying tiger steak

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=418012&catid=1

the crying tiger steak works best with ribeye and tritip, recipe is somewhere in this post. also if your going to get the sriracha sauce, rooster sauce, get some fish sauce as well, three crabs is a good one. some wont eat fish sauce, worcestershire is a fish sauce :laugh:

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=390054&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Interesting and educational discussion - I hadn't realized that there were so many variations available today in the US. Sriracha was originally a Thai product named after the place it was produced by the family of one of my wife's schoolmates. I recall the days nearly 40 years ago when my wife and I brought it in from Bangkok in our luggage and hoped Customs wouldn't take it. She uses it on anything that a normal American person would use ketchup, bbq sauce, worcestershire sauce, or whatever.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    The Red Rooster ROCKS!!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Use it all the time. Love it!
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Use it all the time, on all sorts of food. Great on sushi rolls. Last night we made orange marmalade/Srircha chicken wings, awesome.

It is a staple in my household. Usually get the rooster brand.
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I used it on a recipe for wings. Never heard of it before then but it was great. I'm a fan now :)
  • fishlessman
    almost forgot about my world famous togue sauce :whistle: , togue is the greasiest trout out there, it needs a strong sauce, this is my version of shrimp cocktail sauce so it would work for shrimp too. i fry the togue so any fried oily fish it should work well. horseradish, lemon juice, a few splashes of worcestershire sauce and sriracha to a bowl of ketchup , mix and let rest. fried togue disapears with this sauce and most people that have eaten lake trout will tell you its aweful
    fukahwee maine

• Use it all the time!! That stuff is great!!
  • RRP
    Thanks for all the responses - I guess my age and mid-western upbringing equates to leading a sheltered 65 year life as compared to many of you guys and gals. It's nice to bare my soul now and then and not have my head taken off by those in the know!

Now...I have to wonder how many other "food things" out there exists that many eggers take for granted and others elsewhere have never even heard of!

Just for openers I'll throw out NON-brand food items I never knew about before this board of:

pulled pork

stone crabs

ABTs

and of course THANKS to Little Steven... La Bomba!

just as for instances...Anybody else what to join in this revelation?
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    A recent Bon Appetit article surveyed chefs around the country (I think) for their favorite condiment....and Sriracha won!
  • fishlessman
    theres alot if your from newengland from pulled pork and brisket to grits, plantains and fried green tomatoes. still never bought a tomatillo and the hot pepper selection is so small that i can only recognize a few peppers :laugh: i need a tour guide at the asian market, usually i ask the girl up front to help but im learning:laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ron,

What kind(s) of sriracha did you get?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    I got the "Red Rooster" one made by Huy Fong Foods. It says HOT chili sauce. BTW does this have to be refrigerated after opening?