Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket!

Options
Cruezn
Cruezn Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend I purchased a nice 8 lb choice brisket from Costco. I'm planning on smoking it this Saturday. I have a couple of questions in regards to cook temp though. I don't know if anyone else has an issue with this, or its just me. When you look at a recipe or technique, and it is referring to the temperature to cook at, how do you convert that over to the egg so to speak? I bought a BBQ book from the Chatham Artillery cook team (and it's very good), and it says cook brisket at 250 degrees. Is that grate temp, or dome temp on the egg? I'll be using my BBQ Guru Nano, so if I dial in at 225 at the grate, I'll be close to 250 dome. However, if I go 250 grate, I'll be above 270 at the dome. At any rate, it's only 20 degrees, so maybe it won't make a difference. I'm planning on 1.5 hrs/lb or roughly 12 hrs, and will start checking for doneness at an internal of 180 until it's tender. This is my first brisket of any kind, so wish me luck...

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Good luck...as far as the temps the book mentions..if they dont specify, you're guess would be as good as mine...as far as "this" forum goes...all temps mentioned are dome temp unless "grid" temp is specified...250 grid temp would be fine for a brisket either way..250 dome will work also but take a little longer..
  • Cruezn
    Options
    Thanks Wes. Brisket is my favorite BBQ, along with Ribs, and I've never made it, as I keep hearing how hard it is to make a good brisket. I'm excited to find out on Saturday. I'll try and take some pics, and post my results.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i add ten percent to oven recipes and come in close. pik up a wireless and monitor grate temps as well as dome and you will understand things better, i shoot for 235 at the grid level for low and slow brisket and cook it overnight, its a long cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What WB and Fshlss dudes said on temps

I don't start checking for tenderness until 190

Good luck with it
  • Cruezn
    Options
    I plan on eating about 7 pm on Saturday, so if I start everything at around midnight, get the egg holding temp by 2:00 am then I should be done in plenty of time Saturday. If it takes the 12 hrs or so I'm expecting, then I put it in a cooler for a couple hrs, and if it gets done real early, I can just move my dinner up.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Now you are talking like an aged egg guy. NO RULES on dinner.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cruezn
    Options
    Tell that to my wife :woohoo:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The idea of putting butts or brisket into a cooler is not required or a part of the cook. It is for the purpose of holding the meat temp up until mealtime.

Good luck!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    sounds like a plan, i would throw a butt in there as well, hate seeing all that extra room in the egg during a low and slow ;)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    it also adds drinking time before mealtime :whistle:B)
    fukahwee maine

• Cruezn
    Options
    Great idea! I hadn't even thought of that. Then maybe I could try those pulled pork enchiladas someone mentioned awhile back.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Cruezn wrote:
    Thanks Wes. Brisket is my favorite BBQ, along with Ribs, and I've never made it, as I keep hearing how hard it is to make a good brisket. I'm excited to find out on Saturday. I'll try and take some pics, and post my results.

I certainly haven't had much luck. Hope you do better.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Frank is so right,the longer it cooks the tender it gets I pulled mine at 197* internal.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=782235&catid=1

Ross
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    what frank said. Tenderness is the goal, not a specificated internal temp.

I recommand to wrap the brisket in foi @ 160 F internal. It speeds up the cookin´ time and help to keep it moist imho. And so it helps to get a better result with your first run. Good luck and keep us notified ! Take pics B)
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    I've only done one of these but I followed guidance I found on this forum and it turned out great. I clipped my guru probe to the dome and set it at 235. When it hit 170 internal I foiled and moved the temp up to a little over 250 and pulled at 195. Best brisket I've ever had.