Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Brisket

Capt. Rich
Capt. Rich Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm attempting top do my first Beef Brisket today. I started the cook a bit after 4:00Am, trying to keep temperature at 230 degrees. Low & slow is the montra. Anyway, I plan to cook for at least 10 hours or till internal temperature is around 180-185. I'll then wrap in foil with some beef broth, place in a cooler for a couple of hours. Plan on serving dinner at 6:30 tonight. I'll also be doing some baked beans, with some cole slaw on the side.
My question for serving the brisket is which is the best way slice it up, and serve that way, or slice it, and make sandwiches.
Open for some suggestions, and of course pictures will follow later today.
Season with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick 7.65 lb Brisket
6e31aa10.jpg

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Slice against the grain, thin but not shaved, is how I would cut it. Served on it's own with a little BBQ sauce on the side. Savor it in all it's glory.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    I prefer it sliced and served with sauce on the plate. But, sandwiches are good also.

The only time I serve it as a sandwich is if it gets a little dried out. Then, chopping it up with BBQ sauce works wonders.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Not sure, but looks like ya have a brisket flat, right ?

If this is only a flat, than slice agains the grain, what the others said.

If it´s a wohle packer, I suggest to separate the flat and point muscles. Slice the flat, as written.

ya can chop the point, makes excellent sammies. Or ya can cut in it 1 /2 inch cubes, add a bit rub and bbq sauce and place it again the smoker for a few hours. This process makes burnt ends. They tastes fantastic...

Nevermind which way ya go, slice the flat on piece after the other. Not the whole flat in the beginning. A brisket dries out very fast.

Good look and don´t forget pics of the finished brisket !
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Would love to see pics of the finished product!!! Good luck
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    At about 180 or so you should try the fork test to see if it's tender. Stick a fork in and a slight twist, it should go in easy and twist without much effort.

If it's not easy to put the fork in and twist it's not ready.

Sounds good.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • shea
    shea Posts: 7
    how do you keep it at 230