Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking brisket

Options
Jim Benenson
Jim Benenson Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been egging for two years and have received many compliments on my cooking, except for one area: brisket. I have been dissatisfied with every brisket I have tried and so has my fan club. The meat generally comes out too dry and is, in my opinion, overdone. I rub the meat heavily with spices, then cook it slowly (at about 230 -- indirect) for three to six hours, but it doesn't have that juicy flavor that good brisket has. So, here's your chance, boys and girls...[p]How do I make a brisket come out right? Or is it my karma?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,
    Well, a brisket needs to go far longer than 3-6 hours unless it only weighs a couple of pounds. (I did a 4.3 pound brisket last night that took about 14 hours. Of course, I have yet to cut into it and see what it is like. LOL!) Do you monitor the internal temperature when you cook it? What temperature do you cook the meat to? Have you observed the plateau that occurs around 160 degrees or so? Tell us more about how you do it.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,
    What cut and size of brisket are you using? I have only done two and been very happy with them each time. 9-14+ hours is the range I use for a flat. I actually have a very small one on right now (huge fat cap though) and it look like it will finish right at 8 hours. I am experimenting with this one. This one is on with the fat cap down.[p]Steve-B

• Turkeyspurs
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,Cook indirect w/fatcap up or if no fat, layer with bacon. Cook lo&slo till internal temp is 190. Put in ice chest and cover with towel. The key is 220/190. Good luck.

• Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,
    I'm doing my first beef right now. It is a 10 lb. Chuck Roll.[p] Its been going for 22 hrs. It is now 167 internal. It cooked at 230 for most of the time. I kicked it up to 310 2 hrs. ago to get it finished for dinner. It had a huge plateau from 10 am to 3pm, when I began to worry if we were going to make dinner. Internal temperature actually dropped from 159 to 152 at one point. I cannot understand how that is possible. It's on the way up now. Will report after eating.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Well, we just ate the brisket. So far, it is the best brisket I've made. It still isn't as good as a lot I've had, but it's getting better![p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,[p]
    I cheat by using a sealed electric smoker, but it typically takes 24 hours for a brisket. I have had good results with wrapping the brisket in foil once it reaches 165F internal, than placing in a cooler when it reaches 195F internal and letting it set for a couple of hours. I have also had good briskets from leaving until 195F internal and then wrapping in foil and placing in the cooler for a couple of hours. I think wrapping in foil and allowing to sit for some time is a key to keeping the brisket moist.

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,
    I just took a 10.5 brisket out of the Egg. It has been resting for thirty minutes. I set the Guru 220* attached to the meat probe and set meat temp to 200*, this was at 6:am and now its 8:00 pm . When the meat had cooked for 9 hrs I wrapped it in foil and finished cooking it. I took a test slice and it is WONDERFUL,tender and moist. The whole brisket has cooked even,why I dont know maybe the Guru maintains an even heat level.[p]Cheers
    Howard in Bartow

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1:[p]Flat, 200º dome cooked direct on an elevated grid, pull at 190º internal.[p]Put your current handle on hold until you become one with your cooker . . .
    [/b]
  • Jester
    Jester Posts: 17
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Ahh, so true Sensai. I eagerly await oneness. Hopefully I am worthy.[p]Regards,
    Jester

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Jester:[p]It is not me that can anoint you, it is you that knows when you are one with your cooker . . . You will become one with your cooker . . . And you are indeed worthy . . .[p]For those that do not know, follow the archives of the ceramic & "Q" forums . . . Oneness will be yours . . .
  • Jester
    Jester Posts: 17
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]...and so it shall be.[p]Regards,
    Jester

• PG
    PG Posts: 50
    Options
    Zen Cooker #1,
    Today I went to visit Nature Boy and Woodoggies at the KCBS competition in Annapolis Md and watched a lot of competing teams inject their briskets. Sad to say I won't be there tommorow when they're done but it must help with flavor and tenderness.
    Page