Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what is the price of a lump grate for a small?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought both my large and small eggs back when they still had ceramic firebox grates.
IMG_2344.jpg
Soon thereafter a friend gave me a custom made metal one with legs for my large. It's still perfect. OTOH I switched over on my own to a cast iron floor drain grate for my small. I've gone through 4 of them now and I'm thinking maybe I should just go buy a BGE metal grate for my small. I don't feel right asking for a freebie since my original ceramic one is still perfect out in the garage. So I wonder what is the price of a metal one? Also after buying it I assume any future replacements of it would be warranty freebies - right? BTW the floor drain runs about 6 bucks.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    I recently purchased one on eBay for $10.90 and that included the shipping.

Cheers,

Mike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • RRP
    Options
    thanks for the response, but I was wondering if anybody has retro-fitted an old egg via a BGE dealer OR if one of the several dealers who lurk here could tell me. OTOH - I'll just go in tomorrow and if they have one in stock I'll buy it. BTW I have to wonder why the person pieced out the grate you bought!
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    RRP, not really an answer to your question but just something to think about. Seems from posts on the forum that some small BGE's have had problems with getting to higher temps (mine included) and others seem to do just fine. I have no idea if the grate is the problem or not. The ci lump grate that came with my small BGE was 5 3/4" in dia. with 17- 1/2" holes in it. Thinking maybe it was an air flow problem I decided to try making a grate that would allow a little more air flow so I made a grate form 1/4" steel plate 6 1/2" in dia. with 17- 3/4" holes. Now this did help some but still do not get the very high temps. So my thought is if your $6 drain grate seems to work fine for you I'd just keep using them. Pics of my original grate and my home made grate. Mike

DSC01261.jpg
  • RRP
    Options
    sorry Mike I just read your email AFTER I posted this...but Thanks man! BTW you ever try my "London Broil" recipe yet?
  • RRP
    Options
    "Grate" idea! :laugh:

The ci floor drains I have gone through actually have many many 1/2" holes and instead of the 5.5" ceramic grate are 6.5" in diameter. I happen to be in the crowd of small egg owners who can reach 700 to 750 with no problem so maybe I better shut my mouth and go back for another floor drain! After all, 6 bucks every 3 to 4 years is cheap!
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Haven't tried it yet. I'll probably try it this weekend.

Cheers,

BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    I took a large, cone shaped die grinder to my fire box on my small. The molding or casting was very rough.
    I rounded the edges on the intake as well as the round air holes in the fire box inside and out. This helped with my temps. I did the same to my mini as well.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Thanks Darian, I'll take a closer look at my fire box. Mike
  • RRP
    Options
    nm