Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Malware on Forum?? Google thinks so.

edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got this when going to an archived article:

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at www.eggheadforum.com appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that hosts malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with this site, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.eggheadforum.com.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.

Comments

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    From their diagnostics page for the site:
    [ul]http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2003/messages/90267.htm&client=googlechrome&hl=en-US[/ul]
    Safe Browsing
    Diagnostic page for eggheadforum.com/archives

What is the current listing status for eggheadforum.com/archives?
    Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 310 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 57 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-03-23, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-03-23.
    Malicious software includes 3 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 7 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 14 domain(s), including mangasit.com/, statanalyze.cn/, thekapita.com/.

3 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including mangasit.com/, thekapita.com/, statanalyze.cn/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS32244 (LIQUID).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
    Over the past 90 days, eggheadforum.com/archives appeared to function as an intermediary for the infection of 2 site(s) including biggreenegg.com/, greeneggers.com/.

Has this site hosted malware?
    Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 2 domain(s), including biggreenegg.com/, greeneggers.com/.

How did this happen?
    In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:
    Return to the previous page.
    If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
    Updated 16 hours ago
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Been complainin bout if for many months myself...doesn't appear they want to listen...and sadly I know several of them..not sure if they just can't see it or justify it...but I refuse to open anything in the archives as a result...
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Hopefully, the administrator will pick up on this post and deal with any actual problems.

Thankfully, using a Mac has some advantages (at least for a little longer). :)
  • I opened an archived file on my spare laptop and got hit with the IE virus. Took me a couple of days to get rid of it. I want that BBQ recipe so I will do it again using that laptop because I can erase the entire harddrive if I have to and reinstall OS. I am mad at Macafee for not being able to stop the darn virus!
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    WessB wrote:
    Been complainin bout if for many months myself...doesn't appear they want to listen...and sadly I know several of them..not sure if they just can't see it or justify it...but I refuse to open anything in the archives as a result...

Thanks for the heads up. If this site needs to go 'pay-to-play' so be it; yet no amount of info is worth not knowing where one can go and where one can't. I hope your post above does some good.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    if this has been pointed out and ignored, i think that is a huge problem and disrespectful to the BGE community.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    spooky! I just checked my Norton report and according to it so far this month they detected I have had over 38,000 active threats and quarantined 4 virus attacks. I don't go to "bad" sites so I wonder where all these threats came from - now maybe I know!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    All.

The "archives" directory is deprecated and has been removed. It is the old messages, in the old format, from the old forum.

It has not, or should not, have changed in years. We will investigate the malware "infestation" to see if I can determine when, and possibly how, it got there.

Depending on when the infestation occurred, there may also be malware in the database (i.e. in the new "archives" as well); so, we'll have to search the "new" archives also.
  • WMK
    All,

Virtually every one of the many thousands of archives files was infected with a malware "frame". I've removed the access to these files; and, they are being "scrubbed" and then will be backed-up and removed from the server to prevent further infection.

The database should not be affected; so, to visit the "archives", either search the forum, or, use the date controls at the top of the "classic" index.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Tried a couple of archived posts searching google...2004 and 2005, google still reports "this site may harm your computer" and I am aware it will take some time before google re-scans the site..I was unable to open any of them at this time, as I wanted to tell you the virus/trojan name that was getting picked up...Thanks for finally getting to the bottom of this...feel free to e mail me if I can be of any help..
  • WMK
    WessB.

I've removed the files. You won't be able to access them, and neither will Google.
    We will request that Google rescan our site ASAP.