Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Third cook; bring on that filet!!!

Options
Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I HAVE FINALLY DONE IT!!!

My first real meat on the egg! :woohoo:

I went to buy that beef filet, 1½ inch thick, this afternoon. Almost no fat, just plain red, very red, meat.

I started by grilling my beets (put them in aluminum foil, with olive oil, and let in the egg for about 35 minutes). Tonight I had some problems keeping the temperature and had to add coal twice... It seemed to be burning real fast, without leaving the heat in the egg. :huh:

Anyway, at some point the beets were ready, so I cranked up the egg to 700ºF to get the filets on. Well, my felt gasket melted, but I kept at it - there was no way I was cancelling this thing!

I put some pepper and salt on the filets, and put them right on the gril. Closed the lid. Waited some, turned them over, closed the lid. Waited some, turned them one last time and closed the lid and all vents. Waited some 10 minutes, more or less. Results? :woohoo:

24807_384636477102_671732102_3631682_708575_n.jpg

My fiancee's was perfect: juicy, tender, still red inside. Mine, smaller, was cooked inside out, but still extremely tender. And that was perfect for the kids, with whom I shared. And my fiancee was nice enough to share some bites of his with me. Oh dear Lord! That has got to be the BEST filet I ever had! I had made my own 8 pepper sauce, and my very own Ceasar salad. With the grilled beets, it was a real feast!

Here it is in the plate (after my fiancee ate much of it):
24807_384636482102_671732102_3631683_2062142_n.jpg

Comments

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    If I can make one recommendation to you, fill your firebox to the fire ring before starting your cook and I think the majority of heat and fuel problems will go away. Good Luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Glad it turned out well.

You really need to get some temp probes if you want to refine your cooks.

1) A Thermapen from Thermoworks.com. A little pricey, but used by the top cooks.
    It gives instant readings and only makes a tiny hole in the meat.

2) A continuous-reading probe. The wireless ones are great! Many on here, including me, use the Maverick E-73. (Amazon.com). I stick it in the middle of my steaks and can go inside during the roast/dwell part of the cook (following the BGE-recommended method). When it reaches 125*, I go out, put my steak on a plate, seal it with alum. foil and let it rest for 5-8 minutes. Perfect medium rare. Probably about 130* for Medium and we won't talk about anything more done than that! :ohmy:
  • Ms.
    Options
    Thanks, your recommendation is most welcome. :)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Ms.
    Nice to see your doing so well and it looks like you had a great dinner.
    After seeing your picture I think you are not putting enough lump in the egg, fill the fire box up to the bottom of the fire ring and you wont be adding lump during the cook.
    I also recommend that you spend a lot of time reading here. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Options
    I agree fill it up.

Also, try hottubbing your steaks, to me its the only way.
  • Ms.
    Options
    Thank you very much. I know the Naked Whiz, but aside from the Tables' section, I admit I haven't been reading much.

I will be doing so from now on.

You know what? At one point I was looking at the competition, but I must admit, this group by itself is enough argument to go for the egg! So glad i did!
  • Ms.
    Options
    What do you mean by "hottubbing"? :unsure:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Very nice, Isabelle! Hope you two enjoyed it! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Yep :)
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ms.
    Options
    Well, the funny thing is, he would have enjoyed mine more and I would have enjoyed his more!

I normally like my steak rare, and he likes his well-done. However, even though mine was well-done, and his really medium, I really liked mine.

I'll be reading more on temperatures and techniques...

Hey, it's only my third time, and I think it wasn't so bad for two days cooking! :lol:
  • cleinen
    cleinen Posts: 102
    Options
    Ms. wrote:
    What do you mean by "hottubbing"? :unsure:

Hottubbing is placing the steak in an airtight bag. Then place the steak in a tub of hot water (100 to 120 degrees) for an hour. Then you just need to sear for a good medium rare steak.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    For your third cook it was awesome :)
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ms.
    Options
    :blink:

OK... But if I want it rare? Less time in the water?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ms. wrote:
    You know what? At one point I was looking at the competition, but I must admit, this group by itself is enough argument to go for the egg! So glad i did!

Amen to THAT!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Options
    Glad you went with the BGE. I think you need more lump in the the egg. I keep mine about 1 inch below the fire ring unless I am doing a long cook. I Egg the filets at 650 for 1 1/2 minutes then flip for 1 1/2 minutes then shut down for 1 minute. Mine are med rare. I have never melted my gasket in 3 yrs of using.

Larry
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Options
    For the steaks you have in the pic a hour in the water and 2 minutes a side around 600 you will be good with being rare
  • Ms.
    Options
    Just wanted to add...

The wine with the meal was a Château d'Ardennes, appellation Graves contrôlée, 2001...

Even if my steak was too well done, it didn't really matter, after one point. ;)

But at any rate, thank you so much for all your tips. I will be looking into all of them. :kiss:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ms.

Cheers to that. ;)

Foods better and cooks are cooler too. B)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ms.

A thermapen is a great steak cooking tool.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Isabelle, nothing like steak seared on the egg! Thanks for sharing your pics. The roasted beets and the steak look awesome. Keep up the good work! :)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Ms. Isabelle
    You are acing the BGE learning curve :woohoo:
    Great starts -- you look like an Eggsperienced Egghead already B) .
    Looking forward to many more fab cooks from you! :)
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options