Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st grill

Options
Gpisces
Gpisces Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello the Forum!!

Just got my Egg today (Large with the plate setter) and have it fired up as I type!!! :woohoo:

After much reading on this forum last week, I decided to christen it with Spatchcock chicken, since it was so highly recommended for first timers. As soon as I can figure out how to post pics, I'll do so, but I have a question:

I was wanting to grill up some pineapple for dessert. I've never grilled fruit and was wondering, if there's anything special that needs to be done to it (ie oil it first), or if it just goes on for a bit then flip wait and it becomes wonderful pineappley goodness ready for some poundcake and whipped cream? (Surely it can't be that easy, can it?)

Thanks!
Gpisces

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I usually just sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on it and grill it. I don't oil it. -RP
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Since I'm a wuss (no cayenne), I simply sprinkle some brown sugar and a little cinnamon on each slice.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    welcome to the forum!!!

you will love your first egg ;)

as far as the pineapple you grill it direct... i used dizzy pig's pineapple head bbq rub. if you don't have any sprinkle it with sugar and just grill it....

once again welcome to the forum

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is still available on the BGE recipe page, but MikeO's pineapple recipe was what got me goin' on grilled pineapple, and inspired Pineapple Head.

It really is easy. If you can, dredge the slices thru some melted butter. Then lay the slices in a pile of turbinado sugar with some Cinnamon and cloves. Or pineapple head if ya got it. Grill til browned on each side. You might want to start with a higher temp than you think. 500 is fine. The pinaepple is ready to eat raw, but you want a caramelized crust. So get you some heat and go for it. Watch closely, cuz you want the sugarsbrowned not blacked.

Pound cake and whipped cream, you are in bizness.
    Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gpisces
    Options
    Thanks for the tips y'all!Hubby has voted for the sugar and cinnamon combo, I'll let y'all know how it ends up.
    Planning on having it over some pound cake, maybe with a butterscotch drizzle ;)
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    Options
    We marinate our pineapple in brown sugar and dark rum. Cook direct at around 400. Mmmm good. While the pineapple is cooking, put the leftover marinade, vanilla ice cream, and some ice in a blender and make a frozen concoction that is awesome. Kinda like a Dirty Banana, but better.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    brown sugar and cinnamon...and don't walk away, it doesn't take very long to burn it.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Gpisces
    Options
    Chicken came out very tasty and fall off the bone tender! Pineapple went really well with the pound cake and a little butterscotch sauce!! Think I may not turn on my stove all week, LOL!!
    Thanks for the ideas!!
    Gretchen