Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

PA Dutch Egger
PA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to try our first pizza over the Easter weekend
Are there links telling me how to do pizza
Do I use parchment or do I use cornmeal on the pizza stone?
Looking for a start to finish list of things to do
Thanks for your help

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/ should have most of your answers. Just substitute EGG where it says oven. make sure you are burning clean (no smoke). You might loose a gasket, and if you haven't had a cleaning burn in some time it might be a good time now, before the big day. Pizzas are my of my wife's favorite egged foods. I try to make them as often as I can.

3-7-08007.jpg

My set up.

3-7-08002.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    PADE

Here are a few tips for learning pizza on BGE... stabilize Egg at cooking temp for 30-45 minutes before you put your first pizza on... make sure you've got everything in place (plate setter, pizza stone, air space, etc.) during the stabilizing time.... parchment paper and a peel are the easiest way to learn... don't try to change temp settings after you start cooking - leave the bottom door in same place you had it - the Egg will recover after opening the lid each time... if you want smoke flavors, add a couple of wood chips as you put each pizza on - a little goes a long way!

enjoy!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Good luck. Pizza was one of the toughest for me to get right. You will eventually figure out what is best for you, but the MAIN things in my book are:
    1. Make sure the egg is stabalized for 30-45 minutes with pizza stone getting hot--NO BLACK SMOKE.
    2. The crust has a tendency to burn if you do not elevate your pie...see link below.
    3. I use parchment paper, for ease of use. Here is my link for making pies....it was big-time trial and error for me....You'll get it!!! Good luck!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=604770&catid=1#
  • I prefer parchment paper to the corn meal. However, a lesson learned - cut / tear your paper to size. I got in a hurry while cooking multiple pies and the paper got a little big. The edges of the paper were sticking out the side of the BGE and when the paper burt, it burnt my gasket.
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    I'm wanting to make pizza on my egg as well. Doing all the due diligence and will order my stone today.

Mike and Bluecrab3, thanks for sharing the great pics.

So many options and so little time. ;)
  • Buy dough 2 days in advance or make it. Dough bakes better when it ages (leave it in the back of the fridge and for get about it, do not leave it out to rise, let it slow age). Try to spread dough without a rolling pin, pizza dough should be handled very delicate, it will bake better. If you can pick up the dough with a peel, then use cornmeal on the stone, not to much, under a tablespoon. If you top the the pizza on the parchment paper then you can pick it up easily and put it on the stone. After 2-3min use a burger flipper to brace the pizza and slide the paper out from underneath and finish cooking the pizza. For crispy results (browned bottom, no higher than 450 or 500) For soft and fluffy experiment with temp at 600-700. I set my pizza stone right on plate setter legs down obviously. Letr me know how it turns out, I will try to place some pics the next time I make pizza.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Confirmation on the parchment. I cut mine prior to putting on egg.
  • tampaegg
    tampaegg Posts: 6
    Couple of questions...
    1. I currently putting my pizza directly on the place setter. I see that you raise yours above. does that make a big difference?
    2. Are you putting the metal pizza tray on the grill as well (or is the dough going directly on the top pizza stone?
    3. Have you had any luck making thin crust pizza (that looks a lot thinner than mine come out)?

thx
    FB
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Hey TE
    How did the pizza turn out the other night...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    1. I use to put the stone on three BGE feet but found by putting it up higher in the dome I can achieve a more even heat. I still rotate the pie half way through the cook (about 5-6 min then rotate) then another 5-6 minutes till completely cooked to my liking. If you are having luck cooking on the platesetter then by all means, keep on keeping on. I find the platesetter will develop hot spots depending on where the lump is burning. That is why I use both platesetter and stone.

I use the metal pizza tray just to get the dough to set up. During the first rotation I'll remove the tray and let it finish up on the stone. Back on the tray for the trip to the house.

I've tried thinner crusts, but I haven't worked out the hydration just yet. While I prefer the thinner, the wife prefers what you see in the photos. When it comes to pizza I try to keep the wife happy.