Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any tips on smoking bacon

Options
Primeggister1
Primeggister1 Posts: 379
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am attempting to smoke a 8 inch by 12 slab of bacon. I guess it will be apple would for smoke. Any suggestions on temps and cook duration? B)

Comments

• Our Nicky
    Our Nicky Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi Marc, I remember the NiEGGarafest pizzas fondly - and thanks for the subsequent tips.

I cure my own bacon - see my recent post in the Recipe section.

I do mostly back (Canadian) bacon from whole loins but I have 4 slabs of bellies curing as we speak (type that is). I use soaked cherry and or apple chunks and twigs that I keep in a tub of water in my work kitchen but any fruit/nut wood would work. I'm tempted to give oak a try but it's prett pungent. I get my wood from trees I know. Producing fruit trees are usually sprayed with a variety of pesticides that I'd just as soon not eat.

I'm working my way up to prosciutto - stay tuned for a couple of years!
    Best
    Nick
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    nick i quicker than i this morning ,, read his post ,, go to thirdeyes [playing with fire and smoke] read his buckboard recipe. someone posted a cold smoke of bacon this week you could search for that,
    i use hickory for smoke ,, indirect at 225 till 150 internal ..
  • Can also cold
    smoke for 6 to 8 hours
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Thanks guys, cooking tomorrow.