Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Installing new gasket How clean does rim have to b

Options
Always Smokin
Always Smokin Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
im installing a new nomex gasket. how clean do i have it.
i have scapped most of everything away but there are still darker spots here and there. do i have to get it down to clean ceramic?
thanks

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Obviously the cleaner the better...I never got any of mine down to clean white ceramic...given what you have already done I would just wipe it down well with rubbing alcohol..wait a bit ( evaporation ) and install the new one..
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    the mothership says use acetone or other solvent to get all the goop off. I have a few videos on how to do it on my store's website in the "videos" section. You might want to watch those and it'll show you exactly how to do it. FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I have watched many of your videos...especially enjoy your music..personally I prefer alcohol as acetone just seems a little to harsh for my likings...that said...they certainly know better than I ....and I would fully endorse any action they suggest..
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Hey ..I think if the alcohol works then that might be as good or better. They told me acetone and I just happened to have a can around so that's what we've been using but it's nasty stuff. I guess it doesn't matter what you use as long as you get all that goo off the edge...
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    yea got it arrived in the mail from you today (nomex). just took it out of the dryer as per your vid. benn scrapin for a while and cant get it white clean but it seems smooth and clean.
    (good vids)
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    just make sure yoiu got that goo off of there and spray the glue on both surfaces, let it dry , then attach carefully keeping the nomex away from the inside edge and you'll be fine.
  • Joe Willie
    Options
    I watched the videos before I replaced mine with nomex. They were perfect. Thanks for the help

jw
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    success installed nomex gasket looks like it came out great. any tips for breaking it in
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Cool, glad to be of help. Just remember that the Nomex officially has a burn temp of 700 degrees. If you have any leaks, and let your egg go nuclear ..it could potentially fry the nomex! I have been baking pizza at 550 to 650 with great results.
    FB
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Just remember that the nomex "official" burn temp is 700 degrees. As far as burn in tips MOST IMPORTANT is that you adjust the Egg for no gaps at the seam. Use the dollar bill test as in the vids.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Bubba Tim suggested using a pumice stone to clean it up good. RD sells them cheap.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Hmmmm I haven't tried one of those ... gotta try that.