Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plum wood

giantwing
giantwing Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
Had to cut down a yellow plum tree. Is it good to smoke with? Also is it better to use wood from the trunk or use the bigger branches: does it even matter?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Heck yes it's good to use!! Any and all of it. Lucky!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • giantwing
    oops,
    Well I did save some branches but I took the 4 ft main shaft with the trunk on to the street. I dont have a chain saw and had to saw with swede saw. I guess I should go and cut the trunk out and save the rest.
    I live in Vancouver and have old cherry, dead plum and pear to pick from.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    You have a crop of goodness then!! They all sound flaverful!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Branches, stump, limbs, trunk, anything works!
    You...Are a lucky man with all that fruit wood around you!!! For sure :woohoo: !!
    Even if I had absolutely no other need for it...I would invest $100 in a mini chain saw and a Collins Cruiser for smoke-wood harvest.
  • giantwing
    Thanks for that, I saved my plum tree woood, I have a bunch of limbs etc. I pruned my old cherry and the pear so I will keep it.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i save the little plum wood that i have for making smoked almonds....