Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling kit for Fests

Doug in Eggmonton
Doug in Eggmonton Posts: 1,999
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As we prepare for the OKC fest and the Iron Egg competition, I'm trying to figure out how to ferry all the necessary equipment. It has to be something that can ride in the belly of the plane and carry at a minimum a couple of knives, whisks, peelers, food prep gloves, frozen fest goodies, spices, bomba etc. Slightly different than normal traveling chef kits as I think I need it to hold my foodstuffs as well.

Any of you long time fest goers have any thoughts?

Doug

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    The last thing you need to worry about is a method of lighting an Egg. There will be plenty of Mapp torches and cubes around.
    As someone mentioned before, forgetting something is a good excuse to walk around meeting folks while looking for one to borrow.
    Have a great time Doug!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I'm driving up from Plano. Need me to bring something for you? You, too, DOW. Need anything?
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    I travel with this and keep a lock on it.We got the idea from Steve&Julie Applegate and it works really good.
    Larry

Picture004.jpg

Picture006.jpg
  • Larry,

Any issues checking it in as baggage?
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    I have never checked it Frank but if you use a approved lock that they can open it should not be a problem.You can check guns this way.

Larry
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Doug,

Somebody here has a plastic toolbox thet has all the neccessities. Can't remember who though. RVH or RRp maybe.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Doh!

It was YB. :lol:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/32162?parentCategory=4518&feat=4518-tn&cat4=2911

i have something like this i put my knives and utensils and spices and diposable cutting boards in the dropped bottom and put 4 lbs of scrapple in a zip lock with gel cooler pacs and wrapped them in my shirts for insulation... i mailed a frying pan to the hotel,, i thought about packing in a large rolling cooleer but with the price of checked luggage,,.....
    eggers are a gracious and giving group.. take the minimum and ask to borrow the heavy stuff. FlaPoolMan said if i would have asked he would have brought me a pan and tongs and the like,, with the exception of the scrapple i bought my food stuffs local.
    you will have fun ,
    bill
  • Our Nicky
    Our Nicky Posts: 44
    It's time to buy an RV!
  • Little Steven
    Our Nicky,

Hahahah! Edmonton to OKC would be a trek. Gas would cost a pretty penny.:P

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Our Nicky
    Our Nicky Posts: 44
    You might say trying to rationalize buying an RV on economic grounds is right up there with flying half way across the continent with a bag of weapons to grill meat so you can give it away to strangers! :whistle:
  • ;) Or just buy an old school bus, paint it orange, and use it to travel/party/sleep in :whistle:
  • Thanks Larry - I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I didn't realize there were locks approved by TSA that they can open - just googled it and found some.

Hopefully the TSA dudes don't like thermapens and nice knives :(
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Doug, we have flown to a lot of fests and have it down pretty much to a science. We have a flexible knife case that our knives and utensils go in. A flexible cooler that we put foodstuffs in, if it is meat we freeze it in ziplocks and put it in the cooler just before heading to the airport. The cooler fits in the suitcase. I bring an extended grid in a plastic garbage bag along with any pizza pans. For indirect cooking on the road, I put a doubled over piece of HDAF on the main grid and cook on the extended grid. Lots lighter than bringing a plate setter. Be sure anything liquid is in plastic bottles placed inside of ziplocks, and anything like breadcrumbs is double bagged. As you pack keep in mind they throw these bags as much as 7 feet, pack accordingly. See you there! -RP
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I always choose to cook something that needs a minimum of 'stuff.' The first fest, I went to a local store and bought inexpensive plastic buckets to marinade and mix in and bought inexpensive plastic spatulas, a pair of tongs, a stytro cooler, etc. I gave the stuff away to a local when I left. I have always arranged ahead to borrow a knife because I normally need to carry on my luggage in order to make connections. I've found it very easy to borrow things I needed from fellow eggers. Generally a friendly and generous bunch!

It's definitely nicer for the fests in my area - prep at home, short drive with coolers and everything you need...
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    YB wrote:
    I have never checked it Frank but if you use a approved lock that they can open it should not be a problem.You can check guns this way.

Larry

Actually, guns must be declared at check in (not curbside). Also, you must have a NON-TSA lock on a hard-sided case (not a soft-side suitcase). They will inspect the case before you lock it, then once it has been approved, you lock the case and it goes onboard. The case will come out on the conveyor with the rest of the luggage.

Knives must also be in checked luggage and there seems to be a little gray area where they are concerned. I would contact the airline directly to confirm their policy before attempting to fly with any kind of "weapon."

FYI A MAP gas torch is specifically prohibited, as are cooking fuels and flammable liquid fuel. I wouldn't even try to fly with anything to light your Egg. Someone will gladly help you out.

If you'd like more info, please feel free to contact me directly. Flying with weapons is not what it used to be.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Hippy chick sista!! :laugh: :lol:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Thanks Steve,

If it's possible could you bring a couple of pie plates and a rolling pin?

Doug
  • hornhonk
    Sure thing, Doug! But I need you to do me a favor! Please send me an email with the request so I won't forget. :woohoo: hornhonk@verizon.net
  • thank OCT Big Daddy Bruce Baby and his bro, Dale B)
  • hornhonk
    Hey, Kari... just remembered, you asked me to loan you a couple of muffin tins in Plano...oops :blush: :unsure: :whistle: :(
  • :laugh: nice memory, Stevie Wonder :P
  • hornhonk
    It sucks to be me. :(
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I'm with you! If they can open it they WILL STEAL IT! :angry: :( :(
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    I have had bags gone thru and stuff stolen, as well as entire bags and coolers stolen from SeaTac Airport here near Seattle. It is a problem so I avoid checking anything that would upset me if it is stolen.

I am confident that the thieves have keys or will make keys for TSA locks, I still use them though.

I have had entire coolers of frozen salmon disappear. I know a guy who had a whole set of golf clubs stolen!
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Clam wrote:
    I have had bags gone thru and stuff stolen, as well as entire bags and coolers stolen from SeaTac Airport here near Seattle. It is a problem so I avoid checking anything that would upset me if it is stolen.

I am confident that the thieves have keys or will make keys for TSA locks, I still use them though.

I have had entire coolers of frozen salmon disappear. I know a guy who had a whole set of golf clubs stolen!

ACK! Sorry to hear that! All the more reason to fly with a firearm so you can use a "real" lock (instead of the TSA ones that everyone has keys to!) and keep your stuff secure. We have steel cases with good locks we fly with, they're pretty doggone secure. :whistle:

They were actually pretty cheap, we bought 81mm mortar round ammo cans ($15) and gave them a make over. Here are pictures of what they look like now...

Case001.jpg

Case003.jpg

Case008.jpg
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Great idea!

I think I'll do that. I have everything I need except the ammo cans. I like the paint job! You can really see them.