Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I........

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
I know this is a Forum to try to lose weight. How does one do this when we are making wonderful food on the EGG, like pizza ?

I will be honest, I like food and use it to make me feel good. To have 6oz. of a Rib Eye is something that I am not used to doing. What is the best way to get started ?

Thank you.

Gary
Formerly GTIPROD

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    ive been pushing it hard for about a year, keeping food intake below 500 cals atleast 3 times a week, maybe 1500 for the weekends unless i get lucky and catch the flu :laugh: booze is maintained at about a thousand cals a day plus/minus :laugh: i dont recommend this diet to anyone B) looks like exercise will be added soon, the last 20 pounds come off hard and slow, not like the first 30 or so
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    We keep a careful tally on calories throughout the day and alot 500-800 calories for dinner. Portion control is the key! Another big component, at least for us, is sodium. We make great meals on our Egg and have been losing weight doing so. (I've lost over sixty and my husband has lost nearly 75!) We splurge and have some things that aren't so light (like the Pineapple Upside Down Cake), but we try to balance that out by being better the next day. Start your meal with a nice salad, that starts to fill you up and costs you very few calories (if you make your salad right!)...

Pick a reasonable recipe and substitute lighter versions of or simply less of the high fat/calorie ingredients. We had the Apricot Glazed Pork Tenderloin tonight. I used a low-sugar jam and low sodium soy sauce, and cut back the amount of a few things to lighten it up. (The brandy wasn't worth the caloric cost to us, so we skipped it.)

A couple medallions of pork tenderloin with a drizzle of glaze still kept us within our caloric allotment for dinner.

IT CAN BE DONE! And, more importantly, YOU CAN DO IT! You just have to start. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    you make it sound hard, i just changed from 10 samadams a day to bud select 55's, dropping beer calories down from 1800 a day to 550 :laugh: :laugh: well it was a little more than that but it definitly helped B) :laugh: :whistle: wish i could eat lettuce, salads cost a fortune without a filler, mostly eat a cabbage salad/coleslaw. one leaf of iceburg or romaine and im taken down, feels like food poisoning. the mixed bag of leaves scare me because some times they sneak some in
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    I buy the bins of Organic Baby Spinach from Sams Club. It is good sized bin (can't remember weight, sorry!) and it is less than 4 bucks. I buy 3 per week and make at least 20-25 salads out of them.

Each person has different favorites on their salads, but all of them have the spinach base with either brocoli slaw or shredded purple cabbage and shredded carrots. I have sliced almonds, hubby has toasted sunflower seeds, and Mother-in-Law has walnuts. Everyone gets a few dried cranberries. You get the gist. Our salads run about 130 calories, including a light drizzle of light salad dressing. (Mother-in-Law uses some calorie free crap she buys online and eats more stuff in her salads.)

Iceberg lettuce can be tough on the guts, but give baby Spinach a try.

Good luck!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    I have been on a campaign to BURN FAT as a method to lose weight. If you do it wrong you can lose weight by losing lean muscle. The easiest way to do this is if you only restrict calories. Ideally you want to build muscle first by exercise, a combination of cardio and strength training. These used to be swear words in my vocabulary but after some heart issues involving Atrial fibrillation I decided I neede to make serious lifestyle changes. You need to be aware of your nutrition needs as well. Multiply your current weight by 18 and you know how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight. Multiply by 16 to find out how many you need to "lose weight" The difference is your calorie deficit and can be added to with exercise. The Internet has been how I found out what to do to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, fire up my metabolism, burn fat and build muscle. Google is your friend.
    I am 61 years old and used to emote with food. If I was happy, sad, depressed, angry, fill in the blank-- I ate. Now I know exactly what I am eating, be it protein carbohydrate or fat. I know what it is going to do to me or for me. I know how much is a portion and I stick to it but I don't obsess. Food is fuel, not an emotional response. This is new territory for me.
    Someone just gave me an BGE. I haven't seen it yet I am suppose to pick it up this week. Instead of fixing just any old food that sounds good I will fix balanced meals with a mix of protein, vegetables and some fat. I will limit my starch and eat fresh fruit. The best tasting food in the world is prepared on an egg.
    I am ecstatic to find this branch of the BGE
    forum. I look forward to encouraging each of you.
    If you decide to build muscle as away to burn fat you can put away your scale and watch your healthy body materialize before you in a mirror. Measure inches on a tape not pounds on a scale.
    I understand this flies in the face of a lot of conventional "wisdom" but after two months it is working for me. I found www.stronglifts.com and joined a gym.
    Peace