Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Xtra Large EGG

Battle
Battle Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchasing another egg. I have the large one at home but I am considering the xlg for the cabin. My question is if the xlg cooks just as well as the large.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I have two large eggs, the reason being I can switch the compontents to both eggs. That way I do not have to buy new items for a different grill.

Patti
    wichita, KS
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Yes the XL cooks as "well" as the large.....MY xl does cook differently than MY large..but it cooks just as well..
  • Battle
    Thanks for the symantics lesson, Wess...How does your xlg cook differently from your lg?
  • WessB
    MY...and I am trying to stress the "my" part...as all eggs of any sizes are not all gonna act the same way....and symantics were not my intent....my XL, seems to like to wander some 30° from what I desire..if I want 250 it may wander from 235 to 260 and over time I learned to live with that..my large on the other hand I can lock into any given temp and it stays there..the xl still cooks as great of a product as the large, but there's just a slight difference in the learning curve..no complaints about it..but there are slight differences..
  • Battle
    Thanks. The reason I would choose the xlg is I am more likely to have to feed more people at the cabin. Otherwise I would stick with the lg.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Yes it does cook differently. I had my XL for about 18monbefore I got the L. I did a lot of low and slows on the XL. A packer brisket and a turkey...no problem. I got the L because the XL took a lot of time and fuel (comparde to the L) to get up to high grilling temps. I hated to fire the XL up when all I had to do was grill 2 steaks for 5min/side.

I don't remember having the temp swing problems. I ended up getting a DigiQ which makes both of them cook the same.
  • WessB
    The large with all of the grid options available can cook a lot of food...but I'm also not trying to talk you out of an XL....you can fit a LOT of meat on an XL..
  • Battle
    Wess, how many slabs of baby backs can you fit on the large?
  • WessB
    Depends on the number of grids and levels you have available to use...if you stand em in a rack obviously more than laying flat...there's a picture around with some 20 racks on a large....probly not the best ribs you ever ate but the number is there...6 slabs is probably realistic for a large..I can do 6 laid flat on my xl...
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    I have the XL. I'm learning and do not have any others. I love the BGE.

If you want, consider using a reducing ring for the cooks like a couple of steaks.

Here are a couple of pics from my egg. My ring is a 12 in SS pipe ~4 in tall.
    IMG_4985.jpg
    IMG_4990.jpg
    IMG_4991.jpg
    IMG_4993.jpg

Daniel
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    where is did you find that pipe? what kind of shop did you buy it from and approximate cost please?

steve
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I have 2 xls and all my friends have larges, they wish they had an XL. They is no difference that all 25-30 of us can see. Make sure you get the new and improved XL with the new handle and lid.
  • ASTegaCay
    ASTegaCay Posts: 97
    Steve

Go to the Ceramic Grill Store, Tom has two types there, I bought the open one and it works great.
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    At our cabin I have a large. I would like to eventually have two eggs there, the second one for sides or big groups. If money was not an object I would be tempted to add an XL but will add a second large as I think it is more practical.

Anyway, personally I would rather have two eggs (at least one being a L) than one XL at the cabin.
  • EggerDan
    EggerDan Posts: 105
    The pipe is from work and asked one of the guys to cut this from extra stock from 'out in the bone yard.'

Sorry not much help otherwise.

Daniel