Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slightly OT - how i used to cook steaks. .. .

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i went home for lunch today, and was sitting with my wife and 'spawn', we were discussing what to eat for dinner, spawn only knows she wants mashed potatoes as part of it, and my wife jokingly (i hope jokingly) said "we could have an all veggie dinner". . which made me think back to my freshman year in college (74-75) and the one big argument i had with my roommate at the Giant in NW DC over whether we should buy a steak that week (we went grocery shopping every monday for the week and we always bought steak to eat one night) cause he suddenly got a wild hair up his A$% and decided maybe we shouldn't. . to which i replied, 'eat what you will, but i'm gonna have my weekly steak. ... which gets me to the point of the story (and you thought i'd never get there). . .[p]in those days, my idea of a good steak was a 1 inch thick 'round steak'. . .i wouldn't do anything to it in terms of marinade or rub,. . ..i would stick it in my trusty little broiler/toaster oven and cook it till it was a nice brown color all the way through. . .cut it in half (half for me, half for my roomie - yes, i won the argument)... salt it up good from the plastic salt shaker stolen from the student union building. . .have it with a baked potatoe, and pronounce it the best steak you ever ate!!. . .[p]well, i thought about how i've progressed from that hunk of meat, to better steaks done on gassers, to good steaks done on my webber kettle, to what i now do ala trex on the egg. . .gee, only took me 30 years to get it right. . .i think my kids are awfully lucky that they are learning 'egging' at an age where they can enjoy it for almost their whole lives. . .. :)

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That reminds me of the summer my brother and I had the house to ourselves. This was back when I was in Nature Boy's old neighborhood in the summer of 1988. I had graduated high school and my brother had finished his freshman year of college. My parents had separated and my mother had a job at a summer camp.[p]We were both working full time, living rent free and living like kings! At least we thought we were. Most nights we would buy the cheapest steaks we could find at the grocery store and grill them on a gas grill. We would eat them with A1 sauce and instant mashed potatoes. The drink of choice was usually Bud bottles or Miller Genuine Draft. [p]Nothing like I can grill now, but it sure tasted good back then.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    well, you weren't far from me. ..i was at american u. from 74 - 78, and our store of choice was the giant at wisconson and macomb streets, where all the little old ladies shopped. . man, you didn't want to get in their way!!. . . .

• Unknown
    Options
    Max, I have a habit of pronouncing stuff "the best I ever had"...I have a list of things that regularly get that designation: my wifes biscuits, munudo on sat morn (when it's really good), the golf courses chicken salad sammies and hot dogs, bout any descent quality steak I trex on the egg nowadays. But the reason is we - are foodies "you and me and the rest of our crowd here" and my definition of a foodie is: "those who really love food, but it has to be good...we don't eat just to fill our tummy we eat because we enjoy the flavors". And I am absolutely serious and honest when I loudly annouce to the lady at the golf course that "I will have one of those - world famous chicken salad sammies" and then wolf it down savouring every bite as much as possible and then tell her "you know what Faye - that was best damn chicken salad sammie I believe I ever had".