Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunshine State sous vide outside round

Our Nicky
Our Nicky Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The meat in the empanadas I served at the Sunshine Stae Eggfest was outside round. I also served it sliced at the afterparty. It's maybe the worst cut of beef there is - dry, tough. Normal roasting will give you shoeleather.

My local grocery store had a special and I bought about 10 pounds of the stuff.

I washed it with Worcestershire sauce, painted on some cheap yellow mustard and dusted it moderately with Montreal Steak Spice .

Fired up the egg to 500F and seared the meat direct for maybe 20 minutes, turning to sear all sides. I removed the beef, chilled it quickly and vacuum packed it. I was lucky enough to find a broken commercial vacuum packer for $400 a few months ago that I was able to fix

I was the grateful recipient of a thermal circulator this Christmas and have found it to be an awesome cooking tool. I cooked the vacuum packed, seared beef in a water bath at 64 Celsius for 24 hours.

Some I chopped for the empanadas and some I left bagged. I brought a couple of bags to the Sunshine State Eggfest. I opened the bag and threw it on a 350F Egg to re heat it to around 120F.

It was tender as prime rib, a little drier perhaps but for outside round it was spectacular if I say so myself!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    So along with the circulator, what did you use that would keep a steady 64 C for 24 hrs? I'd love to have a better set-up than a cheap slow cooker and an induction plate to hold foods at 160 - 165 F for hours.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    you don't have to say so yourself i will do it for you ,, it was spectacular!!!
  • Our Nicky
    There's a kit you can get from Polyscience. They sell it through ebay. It includes the thermal circulator, a cage to surround the intake and outlet so your stuff doesn't block it up and a polycarbonate water bath with a lid with a hole cut in in to fit the circulator. The circulator sucks the water in and blows it out regulating the temparature as it does so. The temperature is consistently accurate within 0.1 of a degree. The kit also comes with a helpful book by Thomas Keller. Now - I think the kit is around $1,100 which has to be huge mark-up and I probably wouldn't have paid that much but it was a Christmas gift from my wife.

She knows a good thing when she sees it. I've used it a lot since Christmas with no regrets. You can get the circulator without the kit for quite a bit less and it would work with a good sized high sided stock pot. It has a screw clamp fitting that even on a polycarbonate vessesl needs a blocking piece of wood to spread the load when you tighten it. I used a pice of plywood and some double sided tape to hold it on and it works fine.

It is certainly easier than an induction plate or a slow cooker.
  • Our Nicky
    Thanks bill, now I did do two lots of beef at the after party. omne was the outside round and the other was strip loin braided with anchovy and olive tapenade. That was cooked direct from a longitudinal slice along a whole striploin.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    and i am waiting patiently for the olive anchovy tapenade recipe,.