Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30lbs of Butt at once...Possible?

Hamm
Hamm Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 5 butts totaling 30 lbs. I think I can squeeze them all on the grill with the extender. Should I try and cook them all at once or do it in two batches?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Hamm,
    Personally I would say..if you can fit em in and get the lid closed with a polder in sumpin...go for it..I have done 3 at a time but dont remember ever trying more than that....again, if it fits..load it up good with lump and you shouldnt have any problems...[p]Wess

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Hamm,[p]My personal record is 5 butts totalling 32+ pounds. Put 'em on - it'll work fine. You may want to reposition after they start to shrink - say, 2 hours in to the cook.[p]Ken
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Hamm,
    I did four butts = 32 pounds with a grid extender at one time.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Hamm, thats gonna be like the old girl that lives right down the street from me....a heap of butt!![p]Good luck,
    H. Jass

• Hamm,[p]With a heavy load of meat like you are planning, run the dome temp no lower than 330 degrees for the first 4 hours to get your meat in the safe zone. Then you can cut back to your regular temp.[p]Dave

• Hamm
    Hamm Posts: 73
    Old Dave,
    You are the first to suggest this...does everyone agree with this?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Hamm, with bone in butts i normally start the cook at 220, but for the deboned butts i have been starting the cook at 300 until the inside hits 140 and then drop my temp down to 220 until it has finished thru the plataue stage. with 30 pounds, i can see this reasoning, especially if the bone has been removed and there is a chance that the internal parts of the meat have been contaminated. with bone in, i dont think that the problem is warrented unless these butts are touching each other

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it