Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping Baby Backs the night before....rub or marinade?

Options
SouthJerseyGrEGG
SouthJerseyGrEGG Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking baby backs for Father's Day and I don't want to blow it!
Will be using the 3-1-1.5 method for cooking at about 225 - 250 F.[p]Should I rub the ribs the night before? Would doing so dry them out?
Or should I let them sit in marinade the night before?[p]Just out to WOW dad on Sunday! :-)[p]Thanks![p]Greg

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    SouthJerseyGrEGG,
    You should "always" rub the ribs the night before...wrap em up in plastic wrap and let em rest in the fridge...never marinaded ribs, so I cant help you with that one..you can see exactly how I do ribs on my website...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    WessB:[p]Does your rub have much of a salt content?
    [/b]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    SouthJerseyGrEGG,
    Here is an old favorite recipe from one of the original Forum Poster.
    If you are looking to WOW someone with Baby Back Ribs, this is your recipe. In fact, my mouth is watering thinking about it.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Cat’s Baby Back Ribs[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    SouthJerseyGrEGG, definitely rub the night before. Leave off the marinade. [p]Hugh Jass
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks all!;[p]These tips are a great help! I could have set a stop watch
    to you all for your quick responses!!!![p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_04_0018_21_02.jpg
    <p />SouthJerseyGrEGG, rub the ribs, leave the marinate for some chicken. Check our the link - the page was originally posted in 2000, but they still turn out perfect in 2004.[p]Links to the recipe for the rub and the cooking method appear at the top of the page.[p]Good luck[p]Life is GOOD! :~}

[ul][li]Memphis Style [/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    WessB,[p]There's not much meat on ribs... Not sure if the words "always" should be used...

• WessB
    Options
    Scottie,
    Well..I "always" rub my ribs at least the night prior to cooking..[p]
    Wess

• WessB
    Options
    djm5x9,
    There is a link to my rub recipe from the page...it doesnt come out tasting salty if thats what you are asking..[p]Wess

• SouthJerseyGrEGG
    Options
    WessB,
    I printed out your recipe! There's only 2 teaspoons of salt which it nothing. I normally use kosher salt.
    It's all good stuff!![p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    WessB:[p]Salt is a curing agent and if present in any quantity for a prolonged period of time can actually draw moisture from meat. With a cut that has very little meat like ribs this can work against you. I find rubs applied one to three hours in advance work better than an over night application. . . . Just my personal experience . . .
    [/b]
  • WessB
    Options
    SouthJerseyGrEGG,
    If you dont like a dark bark you may consider reducing the sugar a bit..or cook at a lower temp..[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I may have to give that a try....although "typically" my ribs are not dry..key word being typically....my usual routine is to buy the cryovac pack at Costco, 3 slabs...rub em all down, foodsaver and freeze 2 of them and cook one...when I want more I will pull them from the freezer, let them thaw in the fridge from the afternoon before then cook as I showed on the website the following evening...[p]Wess