Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Wings

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having the book club group over in a couple weeks. Was thinking of making a batch of wings and some of those spinach ball deals we had in Austin and...not sure what else! Of all the wing possibilities, what do you think are the absolutely "DAMN THESE ARE GREAT" best ones?[p]Incidentally, I have never done wings. Sad..I know.[p]mShark

Comments

• Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]Good afternoon,
    This is a great question. I have cooked a lot on my egg but I have not cooked wings. I am looking forward to the responses. I hope to cook for family and everyone loves wings. I want them to taste "Wings from the Egg."[p]
    Louisiana Redneck

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]I don't ordinarily do this, but... <grin>[p]Best wings I've ever had came from Ahab, up in Oregon. Here's the recipe.[p]Ken[p]Chili Lime Wings
    5 Pounds wings, separated
    1 cup lime juice
    1 4 oz. can of peeled and diced green chilis
    2 Tablespoons garlic powder
    2 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    2 Tablespoons Salt
    1 Tablespoon lemon-pepper
    1 Tablespoon Soy sauce
    1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
    cayenne pepper to taste[p]Puree the chilis in a food processor or blender. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Marinate for 2-3 hours. Longer marinating time will not improve the flavor, in fact the lime will become too dominant.[p]Grill wings, basting as needed with saved marinade. Wings are done when they don't stick to the grill.[p]

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    I think ya ought to do this more often! Sounds pretty good to me and I'm not even very fond of wings.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    mollyshark, these are pretty good:
    Georgia Red Wings

I think you'll like this, it's definitely one of the best I've ever tasted. It's not over-poweringly spicy but quite flavorful.
    [p]Ingredients
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1 1/4 cups water
    1/2 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup Hot and Spicy V8 juice
    3-4 lbs chicken wings

Procedure
    1 Cut the wings apart at the joints discarding (or saving for stock) the tips.
    2 Combine marinade ingredients in a large container with a lid. and place the wings in the container making sure they are all covered with marinade.
    3 It is best to let the wings marinate in the refrigerator overnight (or at least 2-4 hours).
    4 Remove the wings from the marinade and sprinkle with Big Green Egg Gourmet Seasoning (or your favorite rub for chicken).
    5 Grill indirect at about 350 deg. for 15 to 30 minutes on each side. If grilling direct, monitor carefully and turn every 10 minutes.

[p]

• Joder
    Joder Posts: 57
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Another person asked that same question about a week ago and there were many responses. Do a search.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    joder,[p]Will do. I figure everything ask-able has been asked, but seems some of us always miss the answer.[p]mShark
  • Unknown
    Options
    133017.htm
    <p />mollyshark,[p]Never tried to link to a previous post ... sooooo ...
  • Peanut
    Peanut Posts: 75
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I think Lawn Rangers Chipolte wings are great! Did you try them in Austin? My hubby then dipped in "Original Anchor Bar Buffalo WingSauce" (found at HEB). I also just made another batch of the Spinach balls for the freezer. I did include chopped pecans in this batch and reduced the butter to 1/2 stick margarine. Enjoy!

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Wings_Platter_11142003.jpg
    <p />mollyshark,[p]I sure thought these were great....[p]R[p]
    [ul][li]HMS Wings[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]I like the ChefRD recipe for hot wings. These are breaded and can be made very hot as the breading will really hold a lot of hot sauce if you brush in on often. I also use additional cayenne in the breading. Works well on legs, thighs, and even whole chicken.[p]Dave

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    WingSept9.jpg
    <p />Old Dave,[p]I agree. ChefRd wings are by far my favorite.... and if you're going by the straight recipe, amp up the cayenne.
    Nice thing about his wings is you can sauce them in the end with just about anything and they're always fantastic.[p]John

[ul][li]NB's ChefRd Pictorial[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I really enjoy Gates spicy rub. It's a BBQ chain down in KC that sells it's own rubs and sauces. I don't know if they are avaiable online or not (never checked) but I make sure that I get a few bottles each spring when I am down at the Speedway. That spicy rub is great on wings.[p]Matt.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey molly,[p]Another very good wing recipe has cider vinegar as a base in the marinade.
    For 4-5 lbs of wings I will double the recipe, add cayenne and marinate for about 8 hours.[p]The recipe calls for a quick grill but I find they work best on a raised grid around 250-270 dome for 1.5 - 2 hours.[p]John[p][p]

[ul][li]KennyG/Williams-Sonoma Wings[/ul]