Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just bought an XL BGE, waiting on the new design.

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I've been playing around with the idea of getting a BGE for a while now. I recently bought a new house and wouldn't you know it my propane grill sprung a leak in the burner. So I went down to a BGE demo at Offenbechers in Springfield, VA to really get a feel for the BGE. Needless to say I was impressed and I also got a helpful hint from someone there who overheard me say that I was looking at the XL one. I wasn't aware of the squat dome issue so I'm very happy that I got that tip. Right now I have a new design XL BGE on order, which will be delivered as soon as they get the new ones in stock. I do have some questions for people in the know.

1. Besides the platesetter, ash tool, pizza stone, nest and egg handler, what other accessories should I definitely pick up?

2. What meat thermometer for long slow cooks is the one I should go for? Lookign for one I don't need to wrap in foil to protect.

3. What is a good cookbook that really elaborates on more of the complex cooking methods? Such as searing steaks, letting them rest, then finishing them off.

I'm pretty excited about getting one, but I am so use to propane lately that I need to make sure I'm not burning my burgers, steaks, and chicken to death with over the top temps.

Comments

• ebrooker007
    ebrooker007 Posts: 156
    Options
    The egg is very forgiving. It's tough to overcook unless you are just not paying attention. As far as cookbooks go I would just hold out for a little while and use the search on the forum because then you will get egg specific cooking information. I was going to get some cookbooks but then realized all the info is right on the forum and if it is not people are always willing to give there experience. One other tool I use quite a bit is a grid gripper.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Welcome to the XL group.
    Hold off on the plate setter. After the purchase of the Flip Ring I cut mine into a pizza stone of sorts and use with Flip Ring and Hanger system.
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=231
    You will enjoy your XL. 24" of single layer space for wings...Watching sports will never be the same.
    Darian
    PS. be sure to use coupon code "photoeggpimpmystuff"

Wingslarge.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Flip ring instead of the plate setter, now does that work for smoking? I thought inverting the plate setter and putting a drip pan on it was the key when smoking meats.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Just get the plate setter. It works great, is simplistic in design, and is made by BGE.

You don't need the Egg Handler or whatever its called unless you move the Egg alot, which would sort of go against the idea of having an XL except for folks touring the BBQ circuit.

Hold off on the cookbook for now. There are tons of recipes and nuggets of great advice right here on the forum.

Congrats on your Purchase.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The flip ring will let you cook at two different levels in the Egg. Either one at a time or on both levels at once. The "hanger" fits under the flip ring and will hold an indirect piece of your choice. A pizza stone, a pizza pan, any aluminum pan to match the shape you need.
    Look through the photos on Tom's sight. You will get the idea. Best money spent on XL extras.
    What part of country do you live?
    Oh...the coupon code was a joke, real sure it won't work.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. The Egg Handler is key for me cause I'm planning on keeping it in my back shed and wheeling it out to the front of it on the concrete pad to cook. I'd like to keep it out of the weather when I'm not using it.
  • Manfred
    Manfred Posts: 186
    Options
    You might want to think another plan because when you start cooking on the egg you won't stop. Thats a nice size grill to keep moving in and out. Since I bought my egg we hardly ever use the stove. If we could my wife have me cooking every night on the egg. Good luck and happy egging.
  • Fellow Traveler
    Options
    Keep me informed with how it goes with the new design XL. I have been waiting to purchase an egg and wanted to get the new design XL. I am about one month from ordering. I have to build a table first.
  • LuckyDog
    LuckyDog Posts: 14
    Options
    Pick up a Grill Gripper, V-Rack/rib Rack and Two Tier cookgrate. The half moon raised rack also comes in handy.
    I would suggest the new BGE cookbook to inspire you and your family with such great photo's and info. It makes a great coffee table book for friends and family to look at while the grill master is at work.

Congrats and Happy Grilling.
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    x2 agree 100% with Photo Egg - no need for plate setter just spend your money at the ceramic grill store...best bang for the buck.