Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Butt on the Large: a Novella

Options
Irreverent
Irreverent Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put this 6.43 lb. bone-in Boston butt on the LBGE at 200F at 1439 Sunday:
IMG_3057.jpg
IMG_3061.jpg

I eased the dome temp up to about 215F over the next 4 hours or so, and then eased it up a little more to around 230F by the time I went to bed around 2200. I set the alarm on the wireless at 200F.

I got up around 0600 and the egg was at 210F dome, and the wireless thermo read 183F. I went out and opened the bottom vent about 3/4 full, and opened the daisy holes maximally. At 0726, the thermo was as below, and I had to pull it, as I had to go to work:
IMG_3067.jpg

...and this is what I saw:
IMG_3069.jpg
IMG_3071.jpg

Got it inside:
IMG_3074.jpg

...and stuck a fork in it:
IMG_3077.jpg

Got home from work, got it out of the fridge, finished pulling it, fed a few people, and here's the aftermath (and a couple of pints of good porter!):
IMG_3082.jpg
IMG_3088.jpg
IMG_3093.jpg

Though I didn't have time to let it get to the magic range of 195-200F, it did cook for 16 hours and 46 minutes, and the results were magical!

I did not open the egg at all until the end. I used a full load of BGE lump and a small log of white oak and a small cherry log also, and there was fuel to spare. I can probably cook a steak dinner with the fuel that's still in there. A big steak dinner.

Peace.

Comments