Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Dizzy Pig rub?

Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to order some rub and I'm not sure which ones I should order. We don't like a strong run flavor. Just something to enhance what we are cooking. We like cooking steaks, a lot of chicken and I would like something that is good on fish.

Thanks, Mark

Comments

• berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Raising the Steaks (steaks) and Tsunami Spin (fish), IMHO.
  • for steaks...cowlick and raising the steaks (both are nice peppery rubs)

for chicken - tsunami spin and shaking the tree

fish - again, tsunami spin and shaking the tree

(shaking the tree has a nice lemon hint to it) ... .

if you want more heat to it for chicken and fish go with jamaican fire walk) . . ..

with any of these rubs, the more you use on a piece of meat, the more intense the flavor is going to be .. .you can simply go light like you would with salt and pepper for a nice light seasoning as well . . .so start light and build up to what you are comfortable with and hit the flavor profile you like .. .then start trying chris's other rubs for more expansive flavor profiles too .. .you won't be sorry . . . .
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    "raising the steaks" is perfect for steaks, I love their "dizzy dust" for chicken and pork, and "raging river rub" is great for fish
  • Mark0525
    Thanks for the quick responses. Do they ship fast? I've waited too long I think for this weekend.
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    they have great customer service, I've always had my order in about a week after placing it
  • if you call them today, i'll about guarantee you you will have them for the weekend ....no one is better than the good folks at dizzy!!!
  • Mark0525
    I'm calling right now...Thanks guys!!!!
  • Mark0525
    Just ordered and spoke to Chris. Helped me out with the order and is shipping either today or tomorrow. Thanks again.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    cowlick isnt as salty as the raising the steaks, raising the steaks is a fresh, strong montreal typ steak seasoning, i like the cowlick alot better. tsunami spin is his best rub, chicken fish, nice mellow style rub and if you want heat just add some cayenne. ribs and butts you want the dizzy dust coarse. whne i want heat though i like the swamp venom, used to like the lamacain for heat, but over time swamp venom took over. ask for a sample pack of whatever you dont order. if i only had two it would be dizzy dust coarse and tsunami spin, both vibrant but not too spicey, they are all good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    So, what did you order?

I ended up ordering The Works a few months ago, and I love all the rubs that I've tried (I still have tried the Red Eye Express...the coffee infused rub).

I'm loving the Pineapple Head Sweet Tropical Rub on the veggies I grill. It has a nice flavor.
  • Mark0525
    GoonSlapper wrote:
    So, what did you order?

I ended up ordering The Works a few months ago, and I love all the rubs that I've tried (I still have tried the Red Eye Express...the coffee infused rub).

I'm loving the Pineapple Head Sweet Tropical Rub on the veggies I grill. It has a nice flavor.
    After talking to Chris I decided to take it a little slow to start. I went with Shakin' The Tree, Raging River Salmon Rub, Raising The Steaks Rub. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong with any of them. Chris was going to throw a couple samples for me to try, actually my wife because she's the picky one...lol
  • Your next order will be the works. I use them all!!!