Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Farinata?

Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On my last trip to Italy we went to the town that my family came from: Carrara. While we were there we ate at a little cafe/bakery/pizzeria and had something that appeared to be just pizza crust. I gathered from what the owners said that it was made with ceci peas (chickpeas). Pretty tasty stuff. The pie was more or less round in shape, but instead of slicing it in wedges, it was just cut in strips. Served on a piece of wax paper with black pepper to sprinkle on it to taste. Really liked this stuff, but until today I didn't know what it was called. A Google search for "Chickpea Pizza" turned up something called Farinata. Looking at a few of the recipes, the description sounded a lot like what I ate. It is a common street food in the Liguria region (Genoa). Carrara is in Tuscany, but close to Liguria so it stands to reason that it would be common there, too. Anyone ever heard of or eaten or made Farinata before? I'm thinking about trying it on the egg. The recipes call for cooking it in a cast iron skillet on a pizza stone, but I'm pretty sure I saw them pull it right out of the oven on a peel. Maybe they were just reheating it. Anyway, if any of my Dego friends out there (Zippylip?) know anything about this stuff, let me hear from you.

Comments