Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st. Dogs

Options
RayS
RayS Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I cooked my first hotdogs on the BGE since I got it more than two years ago. There was some hickory left in the charcoal from my last cook, which added a nice flavor. I normally like my hotdogs boiled with steamed buns like at the ballpark, but this was a nice change. Tomorrow night spatchcock chicken rubbed with Dizzy Dust, fries and chalet sauce. [p]RayS

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RayS,
    Please tell more about this Chalet Sauce![p]Man, I love egged hot dogs cooked. Cooked at 250-300 direct nice and slow til they are all golden brown, and the juice just starting to boil out if a tiny slit. Yowza.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RayS
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Chalet sauce is a dipping sauce served at a restaurant here in Canada called Swiss Chalet. They sell the mix at the grocery store to make the sauce at home. Tomorrow I will be using the packaged stuff, but here is a clone recipe. [p] Chalet Sauce[p] 3 c water
    1/4 c tomato juice
    1 bouillon cube
    1 1/2 ts paprika
    1 ts sugar
    3/4 ts salt
    1/4 ts basil
    1/4 ts parsley
    1/4 ts poultry season
    1/4 ts thyme
    1/4 ts ginger
    1/4 ts dry mustard
    1/4 ts onion powder
    1bay leaf
    3/4 ts worcester
    6 drop tabasco
    2 ts lemon juice
    1 tb veg oil
    1 tb cornstarch in 1 tb water[p]RayS[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    How long you going to stay up tonight? I'm beet red and tired. The corn on the cob is coming in. Raging River and butter on the grill is AWSUME. I will start using your closing on my posts, thanks for the idea.[p]Go Kaleigh
    CWM

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I am crashing now! 11pm is late enuf fer this geezer.
    Go Kaleigh has a nice ring.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    RayS,
    That sounds interesting. Thanks for posting it!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    RayS, I take it you simmer this sauce for a while, then thicken it. Please tell us how you do it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    RayS,[p]We had that chain in upstate New York (Rochester area). I remember it being good. It was MANY years ago and my tastes have matured, but good is ... good! Will have to try makin some!![p]Thanx
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Nature Boy, if you would really like to treat yourself, and the family of course, try and find some Farmland All Beef Pure Black Angus quarter pound hot dogs and throw them on the grill. Cook indirect until outside is to your liking. I haven't had a hot dog this good in years![p]Btw, good the goody box yesterday.....thanx.[p]Brews........

[ul][li]Meat & Poultry Questions?[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Treat myself? Sounds like something I could deal with! I'll keep my eyes peeled. Always looking to raise the hot dog bar! [p]Good middle part of the week to ya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Speaking of raising the hot dog bar, the competition here in Charleston is having a "Top Dog" category. Since the theme is baseball, that's pretty appropriate and should be a lot of fun. They are doing a chili contest as well. I'm eggcited about the dog competition![p]Jim
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    RayS,[p]I didn't read the replies to your post and am not familiar with dog condiments around the country. Although I've lived in the Chicagoland area all of my life I only recently become familiar with a dog condiment that I now hate to do with out - celery salt.[p]Give a try on your next dog, I think you'll like it, just sprinkle some on when putting on your other condiments.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Where can you pick these up? Any mail order?

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Kip, no mail order that I know of. Check out Farmland's site and where to buy in your area. You won't be disappointed.

• RayS
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]
    The package says to mix 1 cup of cold water to the mixture, mixing well, add 1 cup of boiling water, bring to a boil on med. heat, simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened. Use as a dip for chicken and fries. And if you are ever in Canada, visit Swiss Chalet for the real thing.[p]RayS

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    RayS,
    Don't know what's in the package--but your recipe already has 3 cups of water. Do you add 2 more cups of water, one cold and one boiling? Or will those 2 cups be part of the 3 cups?

Judy in San Diego
  • RayS
    Options
    Judy Mayberry,[p]The package states 2 cups total. I guess I did't read the clone recipe before I posted it.[p]By the way the package stuff tasted just like the restaurant.[p]RayS
  • RayS
    Options
    Jethro,[p]Thanks, I will give it a try. I'm always on the look out for different tastes.[p]RayS

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    RayS,
    Thanks so much for your prompt replies. Just like talking to you!
    Judy

Judy in San Diego