Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham from wild pig

Options
Smokin' T
Smokin' T Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone help on what method to use when cooking a ham from a wild pig? It came from a sow, was bled in ice,and now it is frozen. Questions are...Can it be done like a BB? Should it be brined? If brined what is the recipe for the brine? Temps? Should it be cooked like a regular ham? :(

Thanks for any help.

Tom
Dunedin, Fl

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Can't say from experience, but will comment based on some general principles. Most wild game will be tougher, due to the exercise the animal had. Will also be tastier as a result. So lo-n-slo would be the way to go for a tender result. (I did an organic fresh Ham last christmas, and the flesh was considerably more firm than standard hams.) Brining would not hurt. At least it would reduce any bloody taste, and might add a bit more moisture. The additional moisture would be helpful if there isn't a lot of fat on the ham. The classic remedy for too little fat is to thread some fat "lardons" into the flesh.

Slow smoked wild pig was where BBQ got its start, so I'd have to think that you will have good results.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    It will be very lean like a pork loin with little or no fat.I would cook it at 350° until internal temp reaches 140° to 145°let rest 30 minutes then slice and serve.Hope this helps.

Larry