Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Chicken Results

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy! The chicken was pretty dang good. A tad bit salty, which could be attributed to the poultry magic seasoning?? Or the soy sauce I brushed on at the end) JJs rub doesn't have much salt in it....maybe I will stick with 1 teaspoon of JJs rub, and reduce the poultry magic by 1/2 next time.[p]Anyway, the buttermilk seems to be a great base for a marinade. The chicken seems to have a better texture than when using a wine or soy based marinade. Only marinated for about 4 hours, yet the flavor was all the way through the meat. Cooked at 275-300 direct for about an hour, brushing on a mixture of oyster sauce, ketchup and soy sauce at the end.[p]Also made a great egged veggie dish. Sugar snaps, plum tomatoes, mushrooms and vidalia onions. Coated veggies with mixture of sesame oil, olive oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine sugar and pepper. Cooked over very hot fire in grill topper wok. Flipping veggies twice until edges were browned. Wonderful stuff. Sugar snaps crunchy, and a very very sweet flavor throughout balanced nicely by the wood smoke flavor. Almost had a pineapple-like flavor from all of the sweetness in the tomatoes and vidalia onions. Best egged veggies yet.[p]So, when you are looking for something fairly simple:
Buttermilk marinated chicken (with JJs rub, mustard, garlic, poultry magic seasoning, and maybe some oyster sauce) and egged veggies is a good option.[p]Cheers!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]That saltiness may be from the soy sauce at the end. I've had bad luck with trying to use it as a baster at the end, too salty for my taste too. Never tried any of the low sodium stuff, may be worth it if its the flavor of the soy that youre after and not the salt. Veggies sound awesome also. I've been telling myself that I need to start doing the veggies on the grill, I usually have them steaming while the egg is cooking. Thanks for the inspiration, I'll give it a shot. Chalk up one for the 'sperimentin again.[p]Troy