Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New plate sitter gizmo

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Showing my stupidity here, but do you use the "new" plate sitter with the legs sticking up so as to place your drip pan directly on top of it and therefore under the grid? So far when the need arises I have merely placed my V rack into the dip pan and sat it on top of the grid. Am I doing this wrong? On another matter, while I bought the 14" pizza stone I haven't used it yet but I ASSUMED I would merely put it on top of the grid as well...right or wrong??? Is that why I need to get the new plate sitter so the pizza stone would go on it and leave the grid out???
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    05_07_0018_40_01.jpg
    <p />RRP, I haven't used a plate setter (not available for the medium BGE) but I would suggest putting the pizza stone on top of a few fire bricks. Suggest the firebricks in 'Z' or '|_|' fashion. Both configurations are shown on the link. The firebricks will raise the pizza to LID level making it easier to put on and take off.[p]Love BGE Pizza![p]
    [ul][li]Firebricks[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    RRP,[p]The BGE plate setter legs set directly on the fire ring (no grill used) and provide the necessary upward spacing so that a pizza can be inserted and removed at the dome opening level. Attempting to remove a hot pizza from a hot pizza stone setting below the dome opening can present a real challenge. The setter with a pizza stone on it provides a convenient and realiable cooking setup to make pizza.[p]Spin
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Spin,[p]Wow, the New Plate Setter must be darn bigger than the old one if it sits on the fire-ring with no grid. Mine sits on the main grid and is 1-2" shy of making the fire-ring. Did you get a new one at Eggfest2000? [p]Wait - if the legs touch the fire-ring, then if you invert the setter so the leg point up the top would totally cover the fire-ring. Am I missing something, it can't be that big?[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Tim M, yes, the new (whatcha call it) has three legs that match the firering diameters. The center plate is small enough to allow sufficient air movement from the lower firechamber, and when inverted will allow a grill to rest on the upstanding legs. Makes a nice versatile accessory. Better than the original sitter that I also have here.
    Since I don't have the bigger model, I cannot give you the exact center plate diameter.
    Cheerio..C~W[p]

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Gfw,
    Nice looking cutting board. Looks too pretty to cut on.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410

Gordon, Its time you take another picture of that med BGE of yours. With the amount and regularity you cook on it - the darn thing should be well used looking by now -- I have seen Nature Boys and its obviously used alot. On the other hand, you do a lot of grilling which seems to "self-clean" them. You could do a cookbook with all the pretty pictures you've taken. [p]Tim

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    RRP,
    Somebody out there correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the BGE folks ship the place setter directly to customers any longer. They are too fragile. They ship them to dealers when they order new stock.[p]In any case, 5 of the thinner fire bricks will do the same job as the place setter: 3 to get the grill up to the lip of the bottom half and 2 to put your drip pan (if used) on. And the bricks are usually less than a buck apiece.
    JimW

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks, everybody...but one last shot again...would the drip pan go on top of the inverted sitter and therefore under the grid or not?...or does it matter?...or does all that just create too much heat deflection???
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    RRP,
    Personal preference, I like putting the drip pan on the grid thereby having one less item to clean. ie: top to bottom --- v-rack, dip pan, grid, inverted setter. No noticalbe difference in heat deflection.

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Char-Woody,[p] Ouside feet sit on fire ring just fine. Diameter of center plate is about 12.5".[p]MikeO
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MikeO, I knew the footsies matched but wasn't sure of the diameter of the new one..Thanks.. Just right for a pizza. I used my smaller sitter for that and nothing else. Next time I will use one firebrick on the lower grill as a shortstop barrier. The pizza was perfect except over direct fire the crust was a bit darker than if a barrier is used.
    Cherrio...C~W[p]