Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg burns too hot

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year I had no problems with BGE heat/fire control. However, my first smoking this spring had a slight problem. The egg had charcoal lumps in it left-over from last year and I added some new ones from the bag (which is stored outside). After lighting the charcoal, I could not keep the internal temperture below 325 degrees even with lower and top fully closed. Alas, my home ground/stuffed pork sausage had a great flavor, but was a bit dry.

I'm thinking the Michigan snowy winter dried the lumps too much thus burning too hot. [p]Any thoughts?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    tclogic, Oxygen plus fuel = heat. If top and bottom vents were closed you had to have a oxygen source available. So I suspect leaky seals/top cap but even then 350 degrees requires a lot of air. Maybe time for a thermometer check also.
    Let us know if it continues and what you find!
    C~W[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    tclogic,[p]
    I think C~W has hit the spot. Oxygen must be comming from somewhere. I would also give your egg a cood cleaning and start with fresh lump. If you still have the problem, look for air leaks!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    tclogic,[p]I also agree. To maintain that high a temp it must be leaking somewhere. To find the leak(s), start a fire, add soaked chips, wait until they start smoking and shut her down. The smoke will escape from the leak.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody,[p]I completely agree with what you said. It makes perfect sense. BUT, this is my second season with the egg. The felt seals are in perfect condition and both vents are fine (they have no rust/cracks). Also it wasn't too windy that day. This is why the high temp is a mystery. I am still perplexed.[p]tclogic[p]