Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt..looking for

Options
impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the link on cooking with smoke and fire on smoking it...coming down the home stretch on my first time and need directions for cooling it in the cooler.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    A cooler isnt necessary unless you want to hold the heat until a later mealtime.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You don't need a cooler unless you're trying to hold it for awhile before pulling it. Just let it rest for 30 minutes or so and pull. I almost always do that. If you ARE trying to hold it for a bit, wrap in HD foil, then in a few towels and place it in a cooler.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I think this is what you're looking for: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/02/pork-pork-shoulder-butt-picnic.html
    but you're not putting it in a cooler to cool, you put it in a cooler to rest and imho is a completely optional
    step which I only use if the meat is done too far ahead of serving time. A pre-warmed cooler will keep the meat safely warm for a couple of hours or more, but normally, as soon as I can pull it without burning myself, it gets pulled and sauced and ready to serve.

Mark
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    the cooler isnt for cooling a butt, its for slowing down the cooling rate to give you more time to prepare things. foil wrap, towells, you have a couple extrea hours, add a hot pot of beans, some hot bricks etc and your good for several more hours
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Now I know why Pete only posts one or two word answers; your reply becomes irrelevant when it's the fourth or fifth one posted...........LOL
  • impag10
    impag10 Posts: 66
    Options
    thanks for the advice....yes smoking a little ahead of schedule!